Reprogram Win+ keys? RRS feed

• Question

• I'd like to reprogram the Win+ combinations so I can remember them.  Like this:

Win+E = Email

Win+I = Internet

Win+S = Search

Just to name a few.  Anybody know how?

Thursday, August 27, 2009 12:12 AM

Answers

• You can try a third party solution like AutoHotKey but there is nothing within Windows that will allow you to do this.

Somewhat related, Win + # will manipulate applications on your taskbar.

Win + #:
    Switch to application that corresponds to the number, if it is not open it will open it.

Win + Alt + #:
    Open jump list of correspending application.

Win + Shft + #:
    Open a new instance of the corresponding application.

Win + Ctrl + #:
    Cycle through instances of the corresponding applications.

So, let's say your taskbar looks like this:

Windows Explorer
    Internet Explorer
    Other applications...

Win + 1 would always open Windows Explorer and Win + 2 would always open Internet Explorer (if they are pinned). These shortcuts aren't exclusive to pinned applications though.

Thursday, August 27, 2009 3:20 AM

All replies

• You can try a third party solution like AutoHotKey but there is nothing within Windows that will allow you to do this.

Somewhat related, Win + # will manipulate applications on your taskbar.

Win + #:
    Switch to application that corresponds to the number, if it is not open it will open it.

Win + Alt + #:
    Open jump list of correspending application.

Win + Shft + #:
    Open a new instance of the corresponding application.

Win + Ctrl + #:
    Cycle through instances of the corresponding applications.

So, let's say your taskbar looks like this:

Windows Explorer
    Internet Explorer
    Other applications...

Win + 1 would always open Windows Explorer and Win + 2 would always open Internet Explorer (if they are pinned). These shortcuts aren't exclusive to pinned applications though.

Thursday, August 27, 2009 3:20 AM
  • Just as I hit submit I realized I was only 50% correct. Find the application you need in your Start Menu, right click on it and select Properties. In the Shortcut tab there is a textblock with the label "Shortcut key", enter your key here, your modified keys are between:

CTRL + SHFT
    SHFT + ALT
    CTRL + ALT

You need to use two modifier keys and the Windows key cannot be one of them.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 3:24 AM

• I'd like to reprogram the Win+ combinations so I can remember them.  Like this:

Win+E = Email

Win+I = Internet

Win+S = Search

Just to name a few.  Anybody know how?

Carey, this thread was out of focus.  How about your eyes?  Getting tired yet of deleting my posts yet?  You missed this one.  There's more.

Monday, November 23, 2009 8:51 AM