Managing CM12 migration and upgrade together RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to consolidate my CM12 SP1 infrastructure while performing upgrade to R2, but I've questions regarding the impact (e.g. clients, packageID and site code references) and necessary attention points because of multiple domains.
    Consider this situation:
    * My Domain A is currently hosting my CM12 SP1 (one P.S. [CMA] /MP & multiple DP's), CM12 clients are here too.
    * Another domain B is candidate for management but has no CM12 yet.
    * My Domain C (consider it as CENTRAL) has no CM12 yet, but should be the host for the CM12 (R2) final infrastructure.

I don't want to use a CAS and multiple P.S. as we only have less than 5000 clients to manage.
    My idea is first to setup a new CM12 R2 in domain C with one P.S/MP & one DP, and place multiple DP's in the 2 other domains A and B (see Q1/Q2). Then, migrate All (?) objects from my CM12 SP1 to my new CM12 R2 (see Q3).
    Finally, moving CM12 SP1 clients from site [CMA] to new site and upgrade them to R2 (see Q4).

Q1. Is it possible to have DP's in other domains (A,B) than the P.S. domain (C)?

Q2. If ok for Q1, what about required trust? 1-way? 2-ways?

Q3. Will it be enough to migrate objects as SD, OSD, TS to keep all references of installed object for my clients?

Q4. What is the best approach to execute the move for my clients?

Q5. Any other points of attention?

thanks for help on this,

Cheers,

Vincent

Thursday, December 19, 2013 7:03 AM

Answers

All replies

• #1: yes
    #2: no trust needed, see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712701.aspx#Plan_Com_X_Forest.
    #3: "to keep all references of installed object"? What do you want to keep? All migrated object will keep their id.
    #4: it depends ... you could use software distribution on the old site to install and reassign the new client or push it from the new site.
    #5: maybe, but that requires detailed knowledge of your infrastructure

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Thursday, December 19, 2013 8:24 AM
  • Hi Torsten,

Thanks for you answers.

It's a good news that my scenario is feasible. In fact, for Q3 I just want to be sure all object ID's are kept and that that there will be no issues after the clients have been migrated, for example with new application created and superseded old one (from old CM12 site).

For the clients (Q4), you think it's possible from my new CM12 site to discover the CM12 SP1 clients and push them directly the R2 client? Do I need specific settings for the site re-assignment then?

related to Q1/Q2, is it possible to re-configure my current DP's CM12 SP1, of site [CMA] in Domain A, to become DP's CM12 R2 for my new central site? Should I re-install the server completely? or do I need to have a new server for my DP CM12 R2, and decommission the old one?

Thank you,

Vincent

Thursday, December 26, 2013 8:59 AM