JEE MANAGEMENT PACK? RRS feed

• Question

• I’ve imported the JEE management pack, and it discovered my Weblogic server.  When I try to “Enable deep monitoring using HTTPS”, I get this error:

A module reported an error 0x80FF003E from a callback which was running as part of rule “Microsoft.JEE.WebLogic.11gR1.Windows.Enable.Management.HTTP.Task” running for instance “WebLogic|C:\sw\Middleware\WWWAPP\domains\INT01\servers\LABSRVR” with id:”{5E096207-4CA4-0D20-688F-9B517CF2599A}” in management group “JBH_Lab”.
    Error Code: -2130771961 (Unknown error (0x80ff0007))

Has anyone see this?

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 4:23 PM

Answers

• For better or worse, the return code of almost all tasks in SCOM do not reflect that a task ran successfully, but the execution of the task ran.  If that sounds confusing, it's because it is.  :)

There are a few exceptions to this rule, but in general when a task runs in SCOM the indication of a success means that the running of the task was completed successfully by the SCOM infrastructure.  So let me what happens by example.

In this particular case, enabling Deep Monitoring will do different things depending if it is run against an application server on Windows or Linux/UNIX.  In the case of Windows, the task is Windows based and that means Health Service where the application server lives is going to edit a registry key entry for WebLogic and set the flag for deep monitoring to true.  (As an aside, for UNIX the SCX agent is queried and the instance representing the application server has it's deep monitored attribute set to true).

In order to better determine what happened, as David's thread suggested it is a good idea to verify that BeanSpy is available.  It would also be a good idea to look in the event viewer (i.e. type eventvwr in the run prompt) and look at Operations Manager event log for hopefully more details about this error.

Finally for the truly adventurous, if I take of my software engineer cap and put on the support helmet we can try to edit the registry entry directly.  Also, perhaps for some reason the appropriate registry entry is missing (and hence a problem - just a guess).  Start regedit and go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Operations Manager\3.0\Modules\{RANDOM GUID}\{another random string like S-1-5-21-1935655697-562591055-1417001333-1118}\Script\MonitoredJEEAppServers

Here, you should see any entry per application server (I presently don't have a WebLogic environment handy, but this is what you would see for WebSphere):

So if you make an entry similar to this (where the ID should match the DiskPath property from the basic discovery) & restart your health service to force a discovery the application server should appear.

See also: http://blogs.technet.com/b/random_happy_dev_thoughts/

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 6:54 PM