no sound from digital output RRS feed

• Question

• hey there,

just brought an acer aspire 4920 notebook with vista already installed. the sound was working fine then suddenly it stopped! no sound at all. so i did a system restore for a few days back and seemed to work again fine.
    i found after that sound was working only in certian parts of my personal programs. i tried reinstalling the programs but still the same result. i checked the sound icon near my computers and they were all the way up even when i was running the programs.
    so then i went start>settings>control panel> sound>... once the window popped up there were 2 icons under 'playback' tab: 'speakers' and 'realtek digital output' they both said working. I right clicked on them both and hit 'test' a sound came out of the icon 'speakers' but not the one from  'realtek digital output' the sound bar went up and down like it was playing a sound but i did'nt come through the speakers or head phones
    i have gone to device manager and everything is turned up there.
    i have read loads of forums but can seem to find anyone with this problem.

can any one help please!
    thank you
    Wednesday, February 6, 2008 12:02 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Thank you for posting!

Based on your description, I suspect the issue to be related to the driver. I recommend you to use the following steps:

1.    Completely uninstall the driver and software of Realtek from your computer.

Note: Start – Control Panel – Uninstall a program – Realtek High Definition Audio Driver

2.    Check the Device Manager, if there are still items under Sound, video and game controllers, right-click each of them and select uninstall.

3.    Download the driver for the audio card from:

http://www.acerpanam.com/flex/acerdrivers/bin/drivers.html?CFID=241760&CFTOKEN=43180267

Note: The latest version of the driver seems to be 6.0.1.5404

4.    Install the driver and check the issue again.

Hope it helps! Have a nice weekend!

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Friday, February 8, 2008 10:06 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for posting!

Based on your description, I suspect the issue to be related to the driver. I recommend you to use the following steps:

1.    Completely uninstall the driver and software of Realtek from your computer.

Note: Start – Control Panel – Uninstall a program – Realtek High Definition Audio Driver

2.    Check the Device Manager, if there are still items under Sound, video and game controllers, right-click each of them and select uninstall.

http://www.acerpanam.com/flex/acerdrivers/bin/drivers.html?CFID=241760&CFTOKEN=43180267

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Friday, February 8, 2008 10:06 AM
  • Hello,

Thank you for posting!

2.    Check the Device Manager , if there are still items under Sound, video and game controllers , right-click each of them and select uninstall.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

I experience the same thing when I upgraded my OS from Vista Home Premium to Vista Ultimate.

I'm using SONY Vaio. I updated all the drivers but still no luck. Sony Support said that my laptop is not supported for Vista Ultimate. It is still Vista, didn't make sense. 
    I'm sure there is a solution.
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 4:55 PM