Can I Save Final with Show markup where markup is stored as actual formatted text? RRS feed

• Question

• Using Microsoft Word 2010 and have track changes on.

We have it set so we can see strikethroughs for deletions and red italic for additions.

In the end we wanted to get this document saved, but we want the strikethroughs and red italic used for tracking changes to actually save as part of the document so when we take this to a tool that can read in RTF that it sees the actual strikethroughs and italics.

Right now the changes are not actually saved as font formatting codes, but as part of the track changes mechanism.  So if you try to save this as RTF and open it elsewhere or import it from the document into an RTF tool it pulls in ALL the text, but the text isn't formatted showing the strikethroughs and italics.

We want Word to allow us to save this document (as a new file) and store the actual formatting for the strkethroughs and italics so any other tool that reads in the document or if we save as RTF it actually has font formatting (not tracking codes).

Does this make sense?

I look forward to your input.

Greg

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 6:58 PM

Answers

We have it set so we can see strikethroughs for deletions and red italic for additions.

In the end we wanted to get this document saved, but we want the strikethroughs and red italic used for tracking changes to actually save as part of the document so when we take this to a tool that can read in RTF that it sees the actual strikethroughs and italics.

Right now the changes are not actually saved as font formatting codes, but as part of the track changes mechanism.  So if you try to save this as RTF and open it elsewhere or import it from the document into an RTF tool it pulls in ALL the text, but the text isn't formatted showing the strikethroughs and italics.

We want Word to allow us to save this document (as a new file) and store the actual formatting for the strkethroughs and italics so any other tool that reads in the document or if we save as RTF it actually has font formatting (not tracking codes).

Does this make sense?

Greg

Here is the solution that was provided to me in a different forum:

Turn off the Revision tracking and run a macro containing the following code on a copy of the document:

Dim arev As Revision
     With ActiveDocument
         For Each arev In .Revisions
             With arev
                 If .Type = wdRevisionDelete Then
                     .Range.Font.StrikeThrough = True
                 ElseIf .Type = wdRevisionInsert Then
                     With .Range.Font
                         .Color = wdColorRed
                         .Italic = True
                     End With
                 End If
             End With
         Next arev
     End With

• Marked as answer by gsaunders Thursday, July 19, 2012 2:17 PM
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 2:17 PM

All replies

Does this make sense?

Greg

Here is the solution that was provided to me in a different forum:

Turn off the Revision tracking and run a macro containing the following code on a copy of the document:

Dim arev As Revision
     With ActiveDocument
         For Each arev In .Revisions
             With arev
                 If .Type = wdRevisionDelete Then
                     .Range.Font.StrikeThrough = True
                 ElseIf .Type = wdRevisionInsert Then
                     With .Range.Font
                         .Color = wdColorRed
                         .Italic = True
                     End With
                 End If
             End With
         Next arev
     End With

• Marked as answer by gsaunders Thursday, July 19, 2012 2:17 PM
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 2:17 PM
  • Hi,

I’m glad to hear that you resolve this issue.

Thank you for sharing your solutions and experience here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

Best regards.

William Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Friday, July 20, 2012 1:25 AM