none
You cannot create links to projects that are stored on a Web server , and you cannot insert projects from a Web Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There,

I have 3 projects which I'm trying to link together in a Master project.

I receive the following error when trying to link them using the options Insert --> Project

I've tried saving local copies of all 3 files and creating a new master project locally and still receive the same error.

Any ideas on how to solve this?

I'm running Windows 7 and MS Project 2007.

Thanks

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 11:18 AM

All replies

• You are trying to do what is not possible, hence the message. 

The inserted files need to be accessible to Microsoft Project as FILE link, not a HTTP.  Project does not recognise a HTTP file protocol.

You say "I've tried saving local copies of all three files", but what you don't say is if you had a new master file and then linked the subproject to it from the local file system. That should work, and if it doesn't then something else going on.

I guess you must or want to keep the files a web server.  So ... when it's time to work on them, download them to say your c:\data folder.   Then create a master which links to them in c:\data.  When done, upload them back to the web server.

Think through why you want them on the web server. If it is to make them available for other people, you'll need to think through how you then want to manage versions, e.g. if you are making changes on your c:\data copies and then simultaneously someone else is doing the same, when you write back up to the web server, who wins?

Also, Project 2007 is now almost a decade old.  Make sure you have all the Service Packs installed so that it's the best possible Project 2007.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 12:09 PM
  • Me and the Farmer,

I think Rob explained it very well but let me add a necessary precaution. Linked structures in Project are fragile and prone to corruption. It sounds like what you are wanting to do is inviting total disaster. Linked files in Project should never be moved, renamed, overwritten or saved off to another location. And a linked structure should reside on a local drive in a single folder, not operated over a network.

This applies to any version of Project.

John

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 4:11 PM