none
Can Microsoft Authenticator be installed on a laptop instead of a mobile device RRS feed

• Question

• My company mobile security is not compatible with Microsoft Authenticator; however,  I have users that need Microsoft Authenticator to authenticate to another organization's o365 tenant as guests.   Is it possible to install Authenticator on a laptop to serve as MFA instead of a mobile device?
    Friday, July 24, 2020 7:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In my company, we use WinOTP as the desktop MFA application, you can get it in Windows Store.

Microsoft Authenticator app does have a desktop version. 

Monday, July 27, 2020 2:36 AM
  • Hi, is there anyway to get it for the Mac air book? Thank you!
    Friday, July 31, 2020 6:50 AM
  • Hi, not sure for instance about that app, but by there is a way to recover tokens, on iOS (dunno if it works on MacOS). You can copy the saved back-up file from iCloud Drive made by msft auth to your onedrive personnal. When you link it properly on the différents devices running on iOS, it permits you to get on the new devices, at the first running of msft auth to get back all your tokens, by the recover tokens fonction. it will bypass the iCloud single accountedge condition on the new apple device that does not run with the same iCloud. You need iTunes and the share files fonction to copy the backup file from the existing devices. Onedrive to vehicule it properly and avoid any corruption (both opérations are then under valid security certificates) and paste it on the new device using iTunes again to install properly. Make sure on all devices that msft auth app is knocked by either pin-code/fingerprint before using the save/recover fonction or you will encount an error on the new device. Encrypts of any saves done by the app, is done by the pin-code/fingerprint basis, just like encryptage of Apple devices is done by the pin-code/fingerprint required to unlock it at start (not sure but it both uses 2FIDO codes).

That tips allow you to use the single sign-on by approving ‘push requests’ instead of the common OTP/TOPT. You don’t need to fill in 6 digits code anymore for your tokens using 2FIDO codes, like microsoft accounts. Usefull tip as well to sync with Android.

Saturday, August 1, 2020 8:42 PM