Windows Updates through WSUS takes 4-5 hours RRS feed

• Question

• when I update my Win7 clients monthly after the Tuesday patchday with the newest WSUS Updates from Microsoft it takes up to 5 hours until the client has detected the needed updates. During this time there is no high CPU or disk utilization.

Win8.1 or WinSrv 2012 R2 clients only take 5-10 minutes for the same process. All machines get the updates from a Win2012R2 WSUS within a local network (1GBit).

How can I reduce this time for Win7 clients?

Saturday, April 16, 2016 10:51 AM

Answers

• Hi Jochen,

Did these Windows7clients use the same network settings with Windows 8.1 clients?

Are there any error messages on Windows 7 during update process?

We could view the CBS log and Windows Update log to verify it.

Path: C:\Windows\Logs\CBS and C:\Windows\windowsupdate.log

Based on your situation, here are some general solutions we could try on one client to have a test at first.

1. Temporary turn off Windows firewall
    2. Install the last version Windows Update agent

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949104

1. Reset Windows Update Agent manually

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/reset-windows-update-agent-d824badc

If these solutions worked, we could try them on other Windows 7 clients.

Best regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 18, 2016 3:05 PM
  • Hi Jochen,

Since this issue occurs when Windows 7 clients detect MS updates from WSUS server, we could pick up one Windows 7 computer and setup it updates from Microsoft to have a test.

Please make sure this Windows 7 machine on the network environment same with Windows 8.1 machines.

If this Windows 7 computer detect updates from Microsoft without no delay, this issue could be related to WSUS setting.

If this issue persists while detecting updates from Microsoft, we run the built-in troubleshoot tool to have a diagnostic.

Path: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\All Categories Windows Update

In addition, we could view the Windows Update log for detailed error message

Path: C:\Windows\windowsupdate.log

Best regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 28, 2016 1:36 AM

All replies

• Hi Jochen,

Did these Windows7clients use the same network settings with Windows 8.1 clients?

Are there any error messages on Windows 7 during update process?

We could view the CBS log and Windows Update log to verify it.

Path: C:\Windows\Logs\CBS and C:\Windows\windowsupdate.log

Based on your situation, here are some general solutions we could try on one client to have a test at first.

1. Temporary turn off Windows firewall
    2. Install the last version Windows Update agent

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949104

1. Reset Windows Update Agent manually

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/reset-windows-update-agent-d824badc

If these solutions worked, we could try them on other Windows 7 clients.

Best regards.

Monday, April 18, 2016 3:05 PM
  • Hi Rick,

I wanto to clarify my problem. The detection takes 4-5 hour, but only if the monthly MS updates (2nd tuesday in month) are available. Wenn the detection is complete, the download takes normal time and the installation takes also normal time. I believe this long detection time (after wuauclt /detectnow) depends on the performance of the hardware. In my case this are ThinkPad T60 model with 4 GB RAM, 2.0 GHz dual core Intel Processor with Windows 7 x64. The machines are 8-9 years old.

But the curious thing is that on the same hardware with Windows 8.1 the detection takes 5-10 min.

I performed your proposed two things (install current WU Agent, and reset Windows agent).

Is windows 7 WSUS detecttion really so slow, or can I change something?

Monday, April 25, 2016 3:03 PM
  • Hi Jochen,

Since this issue occurs when Windows 7 clients detect MS updates from WSUS server, we could pick up one Windows 7 computer and setup it updates from Microsoft to have a test.

Please make sure this Windows 7 machine on the network environment same with Windows 8.1 machines.

If this Windows 7 computer detect updates from Microsoft without no delay, this issue could be related to WSUS setting.

If this issue persists while detecting updates from Microsoft, we run the built-in troubleshoot tool to have a diagnostic.

Path: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\All Categories Windows Update

In addition, we could view the Windows Update log for detailed error message

Path: C:\Windows\windowsupdate.log

Best regards.

Thursday, April 28, 2016 1:36 AM
  • Hi Rick,

i did a lot of research in this issue. A lot of people have the same problem. The detection of the needed windows 7 updates takes hours.

At the last Updates (june 2016) the following helped:

manual installation of KB3161664 with reboot.

After this installation the detection of new updates took only 20 min.

But with the next patch day in July this will not help. A new work around must be found.

Will microsoft find a long term solution for this issue?

Best regards.

Jochen

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 3:00 PM