Get and transform - crashes excel RRS feed

• Question

• I am having problems with getting transforming excel.

The time I tried to use it and load by querying excel crashes and reboots.

What is my problem.

Friday, August 5, 2016 6:26 AM

Answers

All replies

• Antonio,

Tough to troubleshoot without any evidence.  Have some?

Friday, August 5, 2016 1:02 PM
  • Hi Antonio. Do you remember if you were clicking a checkbox (perhaps for choosing the content from Excel you wanted to pull in) when the crash occurred? If not, do you recall exactly what you were doing?

Thanks,

Ehren

Friday, August 5, 2016 5:41 PM
  • Hi all,

I actually have the same issue. I've been using PowerQuery in the past, and recently upgraded to Office 365. I have a Windows 7 Professional 64 bit installation, and 64 bit Office 365.

Today I once again tried to create a file with the get and transform functionality. Just to try it, I did a very simple, 10 column and 3 lines of content table, no formulas in it, just hardcoded values.

Then I clicked on the "from table" button in the Get & transform section to get started... and that is where it ended... I was able to see how Excel transformed the selected data into a table, and then lights of Excel went out, it was shut down completely.

This was with a very simple table, we're using PowerQuery for much more complex applications that this, and at the moment there is no way for me to help any of our users. 

Monday, October 17, 2016 3:38 AM
  • Same exact issue as Neils with similar setup Office 365 64 bit with 64 bit Windows 10.  I can load data into PowerQuery but when I try to close and load it crashes, every time, regardless of which options selected (table, connection or data model, doesn't matter)

Very frustrating, have tried reinstalling Office multiple time with no change.

Been trying to use PowerBI but doesn't have same functionality (can't output to PowerPoint) so need to use PowerPivot with Get & Transform.

Thanks

Monday, October 17, 2016 6:51 PM
  • Niels/GinoDell, can you share you Excel and Power Query build numbers?

• Excel: File, Account, the build number is under "Office Updates"
    • Power Query: Data tab, New Query, Query Options, Diagnostics

Also does Excel crash if you try loading just a blank query?

• Data tab, New Query, From Other Sources, Blank Query, Close & Load

Thanks,

David

Monday, October 17, 2016 7:46 PM
  • Hi David,

My Excel build number is 16.0.7167.2060.

Just tried it, and yes, Excel crashes also when I try to do a blank query. It already crashes when I try to get teh PQ build through New Query/Query Options...

Very frustrating, and this is really throwing me back in finding simple solutions for some processes we work on...

Many thanks in advance if anyone can help on getting a solution for this, as the Power Query functionality is very helpful in general.

Monday, October 17, 2016 8:02 PM
  • David,

Excel Build: 16.0.7369.2038

Power Query Build: 2.38.4491.181 64-bit

Yes, Excel did crash when I tried loading a blank query per your instructions

Appreciate any help as similar to Niels, this is very critical for me.

Thank you,

Gino

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 1:49 PM
  • Niels/GinoDell, can you share you Excel and Power Query build numbers?

• Excel: File, Account, the build number is under "Office Updates"
    • Power Query: Data tab, New Query, Query Options, Diagnostics

Also does Excel crash if you try loading just a blank query?

• Data tab, New Query, From Other Sources, Blank Query, Close & Load

Thanks,

David

David, do you have any suggestions?

Or anyone else?

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure Development Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Sunday, October 30, 2016 9:36 AM
  • We are following up with the Excel team on this. Thanks for your patience.
    Monday, October 31, 2016 6:07 PM