none
Will I be able to manage GPO from 2008 R2 or Windows 7 after updating Central Store to Windows 10 Templates

Question

• Good morning,
    i want to support Windows 10 in a Server 2008 R2 AD Domain (no 2012 Servers yet).
    Will i be able to manage GPOs using Windows 7 or 2008 R2 RSAT after updating the Central store to the new Windows 10 templates?
    Could there be a coexistence in Managing W7 GPOs from W7/2008 RSAT and Managing W10 GPOs from W10 RSAT?
    Best regards

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 6:48 AM

Answers

• Jay,

problem resolved on w10enterprise1607.
    DFS-Client was not started!
    HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Mup Dword\DisableDfs Value\0 fixed the problem.
    Do you know why DFS-Client is disabled by default?
    That's not good for an enterprise edition ...

Best regards

Thursday, August 18, 2016 2:37 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Will i be able to manage GPOs using Windows 7 or 2008 R2 RSAT after updating the Central store to the new Windows 10 templates?

>>>Based on my experience, you could manage GPOs, which contains Windows 10 templates, by installing RDST on Windows 7.

Could there be a coexistence in Managing W7 GPOs from W7/2008 RSAT and Managing W10 GPOs from W10 RSAT?

>>>To clarify, what you want to do is that install RSAT on Windows 7 and Windows 10 to manage domain GPOs.

If yes, you could install RSAT on Windows 7 and Windows 10 at the same time. But the GPOs data is sync between them.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 18, 2016 5:20 AM
  • Dear Jay,

thank you, I did it.
    But W10 Group Policies do not seem to work on Windows 10 Enterprise.

Best regards

Thursday, August 18, 2016 6:48 AM
  • Hi,

But W10 Group Policies do not seem to work on Windows 10 Enterprise.

>>>Windows 10 do not apply GPO?

If yes, I suggest you run gpresult /h C:\gpresult.html and post it to us for further research.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 18, 2016 8:22 AM
  • Dear Jay,

posting gpresult is not possible, but gpresult shows errors 7017 and 1058 parsing "Default Domain Policy".
    I think this is a problem caused by network connectivity, because in eventlog errors 1058 and 1129 (GroupPolicy) appear.

Best regards
    Thursday, August 18, 2016 1:50 PM
  • Jay,

problem resolved on w10enterprise1607.
    DFS-Client was not started!
    HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Mup Dword\DisableDfs Value\0 fixed the problem.
    Do you know why DFS-Client is disabled by default?
    That's not good for an enterprise edition ...

Best regards

Thursday, August 18, 2016 2:37 PM
  • Hi,

First, I am glad to hear that your problem has been resolved and thanks for your share.

For the DFS-client is disable by default, I have never heard that.

Best Regards,

Jay

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 5:43 AM