none
Exchange Online, credentials not accepted temporarely RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm having some troubles with Outlook 2013 and Exchange Online within a terminal session. I'm using a server 2008 R2 x64 and a volume license Office 2013.
    On this server there are three accounts and one admin account. The three user accounts use Outlook to connect to Exchange Online. The admin account has no mailbox, but is configured to open all three the mailboxes for configuration. This works fine, but....

Once a week the user accounts are having trouble starting Outlook. A credentials screen appears and the user must logon with the Exchange Online credentials. Even if they are filled in right, Outlook won't accept them. If I use these credentials on the Microsoft Portal, they are working fine. When I logon as Admin and open Outlook, it's working fine too. Now, when a user logs on again, Outlook starts up without any logon screen.
    It looks like there is something that needs to be refreshed, which is denied by a user. Some sort of temporarely certificate.
    Anyone got ideas? Thanks!

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 10:27 AM

All replies

• You can give a try:
    1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Credential Manager.
    Note If View by is set to Category, click User Accounts first, and then click Credential Manager.
    2. Locate the set of credentials that has Outlook in the name.
    3. Click the name to expand the set of credentials, and then click Remove from Vault.
    4. Repeat step 3 for any additional sets of credentials that have the word Outlook in the name.

The above will remove the previously stored credentials. Now give a try and see whether it helps you to move ahead or not.

DeVa, M.S., {MSFT} Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 5:10 PM
  • Thanks for the answer.
    I have some more information.

I just logged on as admin on the terminal session and started Outlook.
    For the first time in a admin session, I also got a popup screen for the credentials.
    Without changing them I tried again, but still Outlook did not accept them.

I tried to configure the Exchange Online account on a local desktop machine and this worked fine.
    The local machine accepted the excisting credentials without any problem.

I switched back to the admin account on the terminal, but still Outlook didn't accept the account (without changing the password).
    Next, I went the Microsoft portal website (in the terminal session) and tried to login there with the excisting credentials.
    That worked.
    Again I pressed 'OK' in the popup credentials screen and now it worked.

I didn't do anything with the credentials or with Outlook.
    I opened it once and did not change username or password.

Again I'm thinking that there is some kind of certificate that needs to be refreshed.
    Only in this case it isn't an user/admin rights problem, but an Outlook/portal problem.

Outlook cannot retrieve this information via Exchange Online?
    • Edited by Mathieu_C Wednesday, April 10, 2013 8:39 AM
    Wednesday, April 10, 2013 8:38 AM