none
Assigning a maximum number of tasks per resource RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have one resource, we'll call him Cody. He works 40 hours a week. He will have many many tasks to do, but I do not want him to work on more than 2 tasks. Each task has a priority. So for example, I would like him to start Task 3, after Task 1 has been completed, while Task 2 is in process. Task 3 has a higher priority than Task 4-7. 

Any thoughts would be appreciated. MS Project 2010. 

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 10:06 PM

All replies

• Hello,

1. Assign Cody to tasks with a dedication of 50% (0.5 units).
    2. Write the priority 0-999 (999 highest) inserting the column in the task table.

3. Redistributed according to the options shown in the image.

Note. - The links longer rule, that the priority

Regards
    Ignacio MVP for Project

Ignacio Martín Microsoft MVP for Project TEL: 34 913149977 MOV: 34 609156333

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 12:02 AM
  • For all tasks where you want him to do any task before another, link these tasks together.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 10:52 AM
  • Okay I did that example and it works great.

Let me add some more complexity to the problem: Let's say Cody now works 80 hours a week. He can do a maximum of 2 tasks at once, and the next task is based on priority. So far, this is capable of being implemented in Office.

My question is, whether or not it's possible to create another rule:

Most of these tasks are 2 week (80 hour) tasks, meaning that even though Cody works 80 hours a week, he cannot complete the task in one week. He has to split that task up into a 2 week timeframe. Therefore, in order to optimize efficiency, Cody works on two tasks at the same time. But I have one more caveat: Cody cannot start nor finish both tasks at the same time. For example, he must work on the beginning of one task, while finishing the second task. So then manually it would look something like this: 

40 40

40 40 

40 40  

etc.

Can I do this in MS Project? Any thoughts?

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 7:48 PM
  • Apparently Cody calendar is 80 hours per week, except in the first week of the project that only has 40 hours.

If we make these changes in the calendar of Cody and proceed as in the previous example of redistribution, tasks overlap half durations.

Regards

Ignacio Martín Microsoft MVP for Project TEL: 34 913149977 MOV: 34 609156333

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 8:35 PM