sharepoint custom retention information policy management RRS feed

• Question

• Hai all,

I have doubts regarding Sharepoint information management policy .Does transfer item from one location to another option (in

information management policy) copies or moves document from one location to another?Is it possible to copy document from one document library to another document library in same site collection using Information Management policy?

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 1:26 PM

Answers

• Hi Navas,

First, you need to configure send to connection in SharePoint 2013:

1. Activate the Content Organizer for a site collection.

Navigate to a site->Site Settings --> Manage Site Features --> Activate "Content Organizer".

2. Collect the webservice URL to create a trusted location from.

Navigate to the same site->Site Settings --> Content Organizer Settings --> copy the web service URL.

3. Create a new connection under CA.

Go to Central Administration>General Application Settings>Configure Send To Locations >Paste the copied URL to the field Send to URL and type a display name.

For more detailed information, refer to the following article step by step:

http://www.boostsolutions.com/blog/how-to-configure-send-to-connections-in-sharepoint-2010/

Second, after you have configured send to connection in CA, now you can create retention policy to choose the "transfer to different location" which will route document to the drop off library.

Third,  create Content Organizer Rules to route documents in SharePoint 2013(which is also work in SharePoint 2010):

http://www.splessons.com/create-content-organizer-rules-route-documents-in-sharepoint-2013/

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Navas Shereef Thursday, May 25, 2017 10:24 AM
    Wednesday, May 24, 2017 10:18 AM

All replies

• Hi Navas,

First, you need to configure send to connection in SharePoint 2013:

1. Activate the Content Organizer for a site collection.

Navigate to a site->Site Settings --> Manage Site Features --> Activate "Content Organizer".

2. Collect the webservice URL to create a trusted location from.

Navigate to the same site->Site Settings --> Content Organizer Settings --> copy the web service URL.

3. Create a new connection under CA.

Go to Central Administration>General Application Settings>Configure Send To Locations >Paste the copied URL to the field Send to URL and type a display name.

For more detailed information, refer to the following article step by step:

http://www.boostsolutions.com/blog/how-to-configure-send-to-connections-in-sharepoint-2010/

Second, after you have configured send to connection in CA, now you can create retention policy to choose the "transfer to different location" which will route document to the drop off library.

Third,  create Content Organizer Rules to route documents in SharePoint 2013(which is also work in SharePoint 2010):

http://www.splessons.com/create-content-organizer-rules-route-documents-in-sharepoint-2013/

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Navas Shereef Thursday, May 25, 2017 10:24 AM
    Wednesday, May 24, 2017 10:18 AM
  • thanks a lot for your reply ,Whether i can move document from one document library to another?

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 11:46 AM
  • Hi navas, 

Yes, you can move documents from one document library to another document library. 

Refer to the steps I have offered in my first reply. 

Besides, To move document from one document library to another, you don't need to use retention policy, you can just create content organizer rule to move documents from one document library to another. 

Users are redirected to the Drop Off Library when they try to upload content to libraries in this site that have one or more content organizer rules pointing to them.  So that means only after you create a content organizer rule point to the document library, the documents will be redirected to the drop off library. 

Eg: you have LibraryA, LibraryB, Drop Off Library.

If you want to move the documents from LibraryA to LibraryB, you must create an content orgainizer rule pointing to LibraryB and also create an content orgainizer rule pointing to LibraryA.

If there is any problem, feel free to let me know.

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 1:08 PM
  • I don't think that we can move document from one library to other with in the site. You can move the document with in two different sites.

Anil Avula[MVP,MS Partner,MCTS,MCITP,MCSM] See Me At: http://expertsharepoint.blogspot.de/

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 8:40 PM
  • i Dont want to move,i just wish to copy

i m Navas

Thursday, May 25, 2017 9:41 AM
  • Hi Navas, 

If you just want to copy, refer to the steps in my first reply. 

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen

Thursday, May 25, 2017 10:12 AM