none
ILR Not Supported - Internal error code: 0x80990A9E RRS feed

• Question

• I'm testing out ILR of a Hyper-V VM I have backed up using DPM.  When I double click on the recoverable item to display the items I can recover I get the following error:

DPM cannot browse the contents of the virtual machine on the protected computer backup1.riddlesdown.local. Item level recovery is not supported in the following scenarios.
    1. The VHD contains a dynamic disk inside the guest OS.
    2. The VHD has no volume.
    3. HyperV role is not installed on DPM server.

Please perform a full restore of the virtual machine.

ID: 958
    Details: Internal error code: 0x80990A9E

I don't understand why, because the DPM server has the Hyper-V role installed, the VHD does not have dynamic disks inside the guest OS and the VHD has a volume.

All the VMs are stored on a Clustered Shared Volume.  The DPM server is running W2K8 R2 SP1 and has automount enabled.

Anybody shed any light on why I am not able to use ILR?

Cheers

Adam.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 9:17 PM

Answers

• Michael,

All the services are starting, but, I found the following in the Hyper-V-Image-Management-Service Admin log:

'The system failed to create 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\DpmVhds\c2d6fb3f-ed7c-46ce-9b9e-5e7ec1b2dc21.diff.vhd'. Error Code: 2424869

I found kb2013544 which suggests there is a timing issue when 3rd party backup software loads it's tape device driver which can cause FSDepends.sys and VHDMP.sys not to initialise correctly.

We also BackupExec installed on the same server which we use with a tape drive.

There is a registry key change in the kb article which I will try out as soon as I can get a chance to restart the server.

• Marked as answer by adamf83 Wednesday, November 16, 2011 5:35 PM
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 9:14 PM
  • Michael,

Making the registry change in kb2013544 solved the problem.

Cheers

Adam.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 5:35 PM

All replies

• There is a hotfix available that addresses these errors if the DPM is running Windows server 2008 SP2 and the Host is R2.  971677 - "A Hyper-V differencing disk that you create in Windows Server 2008 R2 cannot be used in Windows Server 2008" at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;971677.  I see your post indicates the DPM server is running R2 SP1 but wanted to point this out just in case the DPM server is actually running SP2.  If you are using R2 on the DPM server the next question is, are you using differencing disks on the Hyper-V guest VM?  You can try deleting the snapshots for the guest and restart the guest to see if these are causing the problem.

If this doesn't fix the problem...Is the DPM server running as a virtual machine?  Does the problem happen for all VM's or just one?

Monday, November 14, 2011 4:57 PM
  • Michael,

DPM server is 100% running R2 SP1 as are the guests I am testing this with, we are not using differencing disks on any of our VMs.  I've just deleted all the data for the guests, restarted the guests, re-created the protection group and let the data sync again.

Tried once again to do a ILR restore and got the same error message.  I'm drilling down through the levels and when I get the path of the disk (C:\ClusterStorage\Volume1\nameofvm\nameofvhd.vhd) I double click on that - that is correct isn't it?

The DPM server is a physical box.

So far I've only been testing it on 2 VMs to see how it works before I roll it out across all of our guests.

Anything else I can try?

Cheers

Adam.

• Edited by adamf83 Monday, November 14, 2011 5:45 PM
    Monday, November 14, 2011 5:43 PM
  • You are performing the correct steps.  I would suspect that there are problems with the installation of the Hyper-V role on the DPM server.  Are there any Hyper-V related errors in the event logs?  Are any of the Hyper-V services failing to start?
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 5:37 PM
  • Michael,

All the services are starting, but, I found the following in the Hyper-V-Image-Management-Service Admin log:

'The system failed to create 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\DpmVhds\c2d6fb3f-ed7c-46ce-9b9e-5e7ec1b2dc21.diff.vhd'. Error Code: 2424869

I found kb2013544 which suggests there is a timing issue when 3rd party backup software loads it's tape device driver which can cause FSDepends.sys and VHDMP.sys not to initialise correctly.

We also BackupExec installed on the same server which we use with a tape drive.

There is a registry key change in the kb article which I will try out as soon as I can get a chance to restart the server.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 9:14 PM
  • Michael,

Making the registry change in kb2013544 solved the problem.

Cheers

Adam.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 5:35 PM