Where are the event logs stored? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a job running on a sharepoint server every hour. If I write to the event logs/ Console.Write, can you tell me, where will the logs get stored on the sharepoint server. 

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, July 4, 2011 2:17 PM One question per thread.
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, July 4, 2011 2:17 PM This question is an admin q not proggramming (From:SharePoint - Development and Programming (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Monday, July 4, 2011 2:08 PM

Answers

All replies

• HI,

Go To Start-->Administrative Tools-->Eventviewer

Then right click on the event categories on left and select properties. This will show you the path.

For me it is %SystemRoot%\System32\Winevt\Logs 

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks,

Rahul Rashu

Monday, July 4, 2011 2:51 PM
  • Thank you so much. But, I believed, that for sharepoint server, u mention the logs, in the central admin site, and thats where the logs get stored. 

Correct me if I am wrong. 

Monday, July 4, 2011 2:54 PM
  • How about looking at this MSDN article which explains the Custom Logging mechanism in detail:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff647362.aspx

Hope this helps.

Thanks & Regards,
    Kamlesh | Blog | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by David HM Tuesday, July 12, 2011 2:05 AM
    Monday, July 4, 2011 5:58 PM
  • file loc

Hi..

I have opened the event viewer and in the diagnostics performance It has shown some files which are causing too much lag while the system is shutting down and also while booting up.
    I wonder where those files are..

can u please tell me to how to get to that file location?

for example, wuauserv file is creating a delay of 4sec to shutdown.

Monday, October 8, 2018 7:08 PM