none
File upload does not work in IE9 if visitor came from an e-mail link in Gmail.com RRS feed

• Question

• File upload does not work in IE9 if visitor came from an e-mail link in Gmail.com

The file input field just goes blank when trying to submit the form (a basic html upload form).

How can we fix that?

Note: it occurs when you left click the e-mail link in Gmail. But if you right click and choose "Open" then the file upload works.
    The problem only occurs in IE9 using gmail, not with other browsers or e-mail systems.

Example, basic html upload form:

<form method='post' action='/somepage.htm' enctype='multipart/form-data'>
    <input type='file' name='filename'>
    <input type='submit' value='Submit'>

</form>

Saturday, February 23, 2013 11:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Tools>Internet Options>Security tab, click "Reset all zones to default"..... there is a security zone setting "Include local file path in file uploads".... there should be no need to include it.... otherwise there is something wrong with your form response coding.

trusted sites icon, 'Sites' button.... remove all google, gmail domains so that they map only to the internet zone (deault)...

html in eml files have no doctype, they map to the Internet Zone by default.

for gmail support try support.google.com/mail

Regards.

Rob^_^

• Proposed as answer by 网游 - wang'you Sunday, February 24, 2013 2:14 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by KevinUser Monday, February 25, 2013 10:14 PM
    Sunday, February 24, 2013 2:14 AM
  • Just to add a possibility,

Gmail uses adobe flash for some reason although hotmail/ outlook.com uses silverlight I suppose an email app would need something for the task.

So you might uninstall flash and re-download it.

Sunday, February 24, 2013 7:03 AM
  • Gmail uses adobe flash...

no, the gmail interface uses javascript.

• Edited by KevinUser Sunday, February 24, 2013 11:17 AM
    Sunday, February 24, 2013 11:17 AM
  • This is an IE9 problem.
    It only occurs in IE.
    I had lots of complaints the last 3-4 months from visitors who experienced this problem. It was not until recently I could narrow it down and finally managed to reproduce the problem. Note: I have also reset all IE settings including personal settings and so on (advanced option), but that does not help.

Here is a test page if you want to check this out for yourself:

1. E-mail this link to your gmail.com:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/147615018/test-upload.html
    2. Set IE9 to your default browser.

3. Open gmail.com in IE9.
    4. Click on the link in the e-mail. (another window will open).
    5. Use the form on the test page: choose a file on you computer, and press Upload:
    the field goes blank when pressing Upload and nothing more happens.

It occurs when you left click the e-mail link in Gmail.
    But if you right click and choose "Open" the file upload works...
    The problem only occurs in IE9 using gmail, not with other browsers or e-mail systems (eg hotmail).
    Note: use the standard gmail interface (javascript), not the html version.

• Edited by KevinUser Sunday, February 24, 2013 11:44 AM
    Sunday, February 24, 2013 11:36 AM
  • I would guess it used both.
    Java and flash/ shockwave have had quite as few issues as of late releasing quick fixes....Java I suppose more issues.

This could simply be a update issue/ clash with ie9.

I've uninstalled both and do not intent to re-install for some time.

• Edited by ThrashZone Monday, February 25, 2013 1:58 AM
    Sunday, February 24, 2013 5:53 PM
  • Ok, I've failed to explain.
    Let me explain more in detail.
    This problem has nothing to do with uploading/downloading anything from/to Gmail.

Suppose you have an e-mail in Gmail.com.
    That e-mail contains a text link to a web page, like this:

When you click that link in your e-mail, you are leaving Gmail.com, a new window opens containing that web page. The page contains a simple html upload form, with 2 buttons. When you try to upload a file on that page the file input field just goes blank. And that is the problem.

Here is a test web page. Follow the steps:

• E-mail this link to your Gmail.com e-mail account:
      (this is a link to a web page containing a simple html upload form).
    • Set IE9 to your default browser.
    • Open gmail.com in IE9.
    • Click on the link in the e-mail. (do not try do "download" the link or anything, just click on it). Another window will then open containing the web page.
    • Use the upload form on that test web page:
      choose a file on you computer, and press Upload: the field goes blank when pressing Upload and nothing more happens.

The problem only occurs after you have left clicked the e-mail link. If you right click and choose "Open", the file upload on that test web page works. Very strange.

The problem only occurs in IE9 using gmail, not with other browsers or e-mail systems (eg hotmail).
    Note: use the standard gmail interface (javascript), not the html version.

• Edited by KevinUser Sunday, February 24, 2013 7:31 PM
    Sunday, February 24, 2013 7:28 PM
  • I guess I'll add the same suggestion here as another question from Dropbox :)

It would be better to simply Center click on the Hyperlinks in gmail, (mouse wheel click)

The default is to open in a New tab and the upload button will not fail and it's an easy operation.

Also Skydrive has 7 gig's of Free/ No popup adds or any other advertisements,

Available to anyone willing to get a Free hotmail or outlook.com email address,

The hyperlinks from Dropbox in outlook.com work with a single left click Interesting ?

Monday, February 25, 2013 2:32 AM
  • The IE9 bug triggered by Gmail
    affects the browser tab/window in several ways.
    As long that tab/window is open there are several problems:

• You cannot upload anything with a html form file upload in a web page in that window.
    • There are problems when opening sites with bookmarks (Favorites).
    • You cannot open another web page writing an url and press Enter in the browsers adress field (it just hangs).
    • I suspect there are also problems with some javascript commands.

To get rid of those problems you have to close that browser tab/window and open a new one.

The test page:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/147615018/test-upload.html

Microsoft, please fix this bug!

• Edited by KevinUser Monday, February 25, 2013 1:05 PM
    Monday, February 25, 2013 12:58 PM
  • All I know is I'm probably a typical gmail user,

I have gtalk (signed in)/ I use google toolbar (not signed in) because google tracks and leaks your email address/ spam city,

No google+ services,

I use ie9 32 bit on a 64 bit machine,

The links work in outlook.com with a simple left click, center click or new tab/ window.

The links work in gmail with a simple center click or holding Ctrl (have you tested those) it would be the easiest thing to tell your customers to use.

ie9 setting preview/ not far out of default the only changes are Advanced/ Use software rendering instead of gpu rendering,

Security section Custom level/ Enable Display mixed content,

But center clicking or Ctrl works with all setting at default as well.

So I don't know why you having issue with closing and opening a new instance of ie9 ? I'm not having to do it even when manually opening a new tab or window and pasting the link.

All four ways come up with the 404 error page which is what is supposed to happen.

• Edited by ThrashZone Monday, February 25, 2013 6:38 PM
    Monday, February 25, 2013 3:21 PM
  • This IE9 bug affects this Microsoft forum as well.
    The image upload in this forum does not work if you arrive to this site from a left click on an e-mail link i Gmail.com.

You can log in, write a posting, but if you try to upload an image it will fail.
    The wait symbol is displayed and then nothing more happens.

The IE9 script error log reports this error:

SCRIPT5: Access denied.
    ce7898c244c7acf55c8ac0d7c3a4c216-280476350591b5545761334272d6c947-RequestReducedScript.js, row 1 char 156898

Obviously there is something wrong at a javascript submit() form command.

To reproduce this error follow these steps:
    - Send a mail containing this link to your Gmail account:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ieitprocurrentver
    - Left click the link in Gmail.com.
    - Begin a new posting, add an image. It will fail, due to the IE9 bug. The only way then to add an image in this Microsoft forum is to close that tab/window and open a new one.

• Edited by KevinUser Monday, February 25, 2013 8:01 PM
    Monday, February 25, 2013 8:00 PM
  • From another forum:

Script5: Access denied in IE9 when website is opened from gmail email link

"...I opened an MSDN case for this. They verified the problem exists in IE9 and doesn't exist in any other version (including 10). They provided a workaround (use IE8 compatibility on the Gmail page), but told me that because they provided a workaround, they wouldn't dig to find a root cause or a true fix unless I paid for "Premier Support"."
    https://github.com/blueimp/jQuery-File-Upload/issues/457

What a customer hostile attitude from Microsoft.
    So the bug seems to be confirmed, but they don't give a shit.

We have had many visitors complaining about this, and they believed it was something wrong with our upload form.
    We will inform them and all other users that this is a confirmed bug in IE9, but Microsoft doesn't care. And we will recommend our visitors to use Firefox or Chrome instead. In fact, we will run a campaign until no one more uses IE on our site.
    Monday, February 25, 2013 8:41 PM
  • Can you reproduce using outlook.com as a email address,

And compare the script log report.

Your site is nothing to brag about 2 gig's Free and in 90 days any content can be removed = Nice one.

Microsoft offer support you declined.

I offered hold Ctrl+click or center click, These are tough ones :)

So you really don't want a easy solution.

• Edited by ThrashZone Monday, February 25, 2013 9:54 PM
    • Proposed as answer by ThrashZone Monday, February 25, 2013 9:55 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by KevinUser Monday, February 25, 2013 10:15 PM
    Monday, February 25, 2013 9:20 PM
  • "    Can you reproduce using outlook.com as a email address, And compare the script log report."
    Feel free to do so by yourself.

"    I offered hold Ctrl+click or center click "

That solution does not work when you are running a site. People do not read everything, they just click away.
    The only good solution is to fix the IE9 bug, OR if it was possible to modify the upload form anyhow so that it worked despite the IE9 bug.

Monday, February 25, 2013 10:41 PM
  • You missed the fact I'm not dependent on your site and the links work for me using both email accounts,

Seems a pretty easy statement to highlight in the very same email message the users are already looking at and clicking in post it on top of the link in large font and bold like in your reply :)

Wow.

I don't see a bug I see lazy tech's on both sides/ yours and microsoft = even sadder.

Monday, February 25, 2013 11:02 PM
  • You obviously don't have a clue on how running a company site. You don't clutter your e-mail messages with stuff that may not even be relevant for many users. Such messages will bring confusion or will be ignored, and that's not good for the company.
    We will work out a technical solution that will interfere as little as possible with our users.
    And we will of course also inform them about the confirmed IE9 bug that Microsoft ignores, and we will recommend using Firefox or Chrome instead.

• Edited by KevinUser Tuesday, February 26, 2013 3:04 AM
    Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:47 AM
  • use target="_blank" in your email links.

Rob^_^

• Proposed as answer by 网游 - wang'you Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:48 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by KevinUser Tuesday, February 26, 2013 3:05 AM
    Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:48 AM
  • use target="_blank" in your email links
    Tried that, has no effect.
    Tuesday, February 26, 2013 3:07 AM
  • Just a little clarification of the background this problem for anyone who may be reading it.

In IE9 (and possibly 10 - I can't recall) - any attempt by the browser javascript to perform actions on a '<input type="file" id="someId" />' element is detected by IE9 and treated as a security risk - even a simple thing like clearing the value or triggering the click event is treated by the browser as a security risk, and considered 'tainted' from that point on. 

Internally IE9 must keep a list of "tainted" file inputs that have been manipulated by javascript. Once an element is on that list I think there is no way to 'untaint' it.  These file-input controls work as normal until the user tries to submit the <form> containing the input element.  At that point, IE9 (and possibly 10?) will prevent the form submission and return a very unhelpful error:

SCRIPT5: Access denied.

No other information is given- and it can be rather difficult hard to establish that the problem was that some file input element was the target of some javascript method 10 minutes ago.  That background problem effects IE9 (maybe IE10 too?) and standard HTML forms with file input elements, as well as ajax-based file uploaders that are based on underlying HTML file input elements.

On top of this background, there is an additional way that a file input element can end up on IE9's 'Tainted' file-input list, described in this Forum thread.  The circumstances described above, are that the website with the upload element was arrived at by a user of IE9 left-clicking a link from gmail and opening any webpage on whatever domain, maybe even microsoft.com itself) in which that webpage contains a form with file input elements.

It is incredibly bizarre to me that Microsoft aren't interested in fixing this in IE9, which as of today still has about 9% global market share. Perhaps they think because the user commits the sin of using a Microsoft competitor's webmail product this must mean Microsoft can renege on their responsibilities?

Oh, do I sound angry? I wonder why.

--

May or may not be relevant:

The application I am testing is using Microsoft ASP MVC 3, which users are referred to via unique access codes posted out to their home email address, the user may have been on the site for a long time and gone through potentially dozens of pages before they eventually attempt to upload a file, which then fails because of this issue.

• Edited by silentsanta468 Thursday, May 1, 2014 11:46 PM added extra info if needed
    Thursday, May 1, 2014 11:42 PM