MOSS 2007 Server reformat / reinstall guide RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

WHen the Windows Server 2008 R2 released sometimes this year, I'd like to perform clean reinstall of my Single server deployment - MOSS 2007 + SQL Server 2008 SP1 on Windows Server 2008 Std. R2 x64

the reason behind this are so many things that doesn't work:

1. SharePoint 2007 Search doesn't work at all. (The search service is currently offline. Visit the Services on Server page in SharePoint Central Administration to verify whether the service is enabled. This might also be because an indexer move is in progress. )

2. Wrong top level site deployment (using the same web apps port 10001 as MySite)

3. Perform successful installation of MOSS 2007 SP2 after setting up SQL Server 2008 SP1

and my question is that:

1. Since the current MOSS is integrated in my domain with the name MOSSDEV01, is that ok if i export/backup all of the site content and then restore it back into MOSSDEV02 (new instance) ?

2.  anything that i should worry or pay attention in decommisioning the existing SharePoint Server 2007 in terms of AD schema ?

Any suggestion and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    /* Windows Infrastructure Support Engineer */
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 11:31 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Albert,

For a new brand SharePoint Server 2007, I suggest you to create a slipstreamed installation source following the article:

Create an installation source that includes software updates (Office SharePoint Server 2007) (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc261890.aspx)

It would save you a lot of time to patch the updates.

To answer your questions:

1.    Yes, it is OK to backup all the site content and restore to another server.

Or a quick process is that Move content databases to another server farm.

Please make sure the two farms have the same customizations installed before migrating the contents.

2.    If this is a normal server do not hosts any AD roles, no, there is nothing special on decommissioning it.

If it host the DC role, you could refer to Decommissioning a Domain Controller for more information.

Hope the information can be helpful.

-lambert

Sincerely,
    Lambert Qin | Microsoft TechNet Managed Forum Support
    Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 2:49 AM
  • Hi Lambert,

Thanks for responding to my problem question.

OK, the only DB that i need to backup is the MOSS_ContentDB only right ?
    because there was so many DB instance and i got confused which one to backup for a clean site content migration (not the settings).

Cheers,
    Albert.
    /* Windows Infrastructure Support Engineer */
    Friday, August 21, 2009 1:06 PM
  • Albert - on questions:
    1) Concur with Lambert
    2) SP won't make any AD schema changes - you're only concern here is the DNS correction you'll have to make.
    Let us know how it goes.
    Friday, August 21, 2009 6:03 PM
  • Hi Albert,

For a clean site content migration (not the settings), yes, back up content databases is enough.

It is recommended to do a trail migration in a test environment to indentify the potential issue before migrate to your production environment.

Hope the information can be helpful.

-lambert

Sincerely,
    Lambert Qin | Microsoft TechNet Managed Forum Support
    Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, August 24, 2009 1:50 AM