none
Page referenced in other pages changes automatically when the page names are changed

Question

• I have a PAGE A called home.aspx page, later i create another PAGE B called home_new.aspx. I change the PAGE A to home_old.aspx and then change the PAGE B to Home.aspx.

This is a normal scenario when we want to replace a page - newly developed page to the existing live page. This PAGE A home.aspx is referenced in the other pages as hyperlinks for some requirements say in PAGE C Reference.aspx.

So when the PAGE A is changed to home_old.aspx the PAGE C reference.aspx which has the reference of PAGE A also changes to home_old.aspx from home.aspx. 

This is really a cool if we rename a page and same page whereever referenced also changes to the new name.

But in the scenario i explained earlier, when we change PAGE A home.aspx to home_old.aspx, and rename the PAGE B home_new.aspx to home.aspx, all the references made wth PAGE A, had changed to Home_old.aspx and hence all the references done are getting broken. By this feature of references changing by itself is not helping us but have become a burden that we need to go and manually change in all references again.

Do we have any solution or method to get this done with references doesnt change to renamed page names ? Because in our scenarios we would want to keep the pagenames same.

Thursday, March 9, 2017 10:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, this behavior works as expected in SharePoint.

If you insert a reference link linked to page B in page A, it refers to page B instead of the fixed URL address.

As a workaround, you can save the old home page in local as a backup, then edited old home page contents directly in SharPoint.

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by Shruti Raturi Wednesday, March 15, 2017 12:33 PM
    Friday, March 10, 2017 3:01 AM
  • Thanks for you response.

So you mean the alternative is to edit the old page directly and keep it personal view as unpubllished version and then make it live when it is ready.

But renaming the new page to old page like we used to do is no longer possible if its referenced.

Friday, March 10, 2017 11:40 AM
  • Hi,

Now your pages are:

PAGE A: home_old.aspx

PAGE B: home.aspx

So you need to edit PAGE A with new developed contents > rename PAGE B home_new.aspx > rename PAGE A home.aspx.

After that, PAGE C which refers to PAGE A will show the correct contents you want.

You said that “But renaming the new page to old page like we used to do is no longer possible if its referenced.”, does it mean that other pages has referred to PAGE B?

Thanks,

Dean Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 2:39 AM
  • Yes, Other pages are referened to home.aspx, which when we change to home_old.aspx, they also get changed to home_old.aspx. So when we have the new page home.aspx renamed from home_new to home.aspx - The referenced pages are all broken or it will point to old home.aspx which i now named as home_old.aspx.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 5:35 AM
  • Hi,

It seems that you need to remove these hyperlinks and re-add manually.

This design for SharePoint is to make hyperlinks still workable after you change the URLs of pages.

So you can try the steps I recommend above in the next time.

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Friday, March 17, 2017 12:41 PM