WSUS updates crashing MPLS connection RRS feed

• Question

• WSUS 4.0 running on windows server 2013.

WSUS is located at site 1, we have 10 MB MPLS connection to site 2.

this is only the second month since we upgraded many systems to windows 10, and suddenly our MPLS connection to site 2 is crashing..  where typically pings are 7-8 MS, we see 43-55 MS, and mutliple drops for pings.

ISP says we are overloading the 10 MB pipe, they ran packet trace, and found the issue is due to large amounts of traffic from single IP at site 1, to multiple IPs at site 2.

turns out the IP at site 1 was our WSUS server, it was trying to send over 100 MB to one IP at site 2, and smaller amounts to other IPS at site 2.

the moment I disable network connection on our WSUS server, the MPLS connection goes back to normal.

for WSUS settings in the GPO I have:

• Autodownload and notifiy for install
    • Scheduled install is Saturday at 19:00
    • Check for updates every 4 hours
    • Download express installation files is checked

I also set BITS throttling on the WSUS server itself, but that seems to only affect update downloads from microsoft, I still have the problem with bandwidth as soon as I startup WSUS.

what else can I look at?

Monday, January 2, 2017 6:21 PM

Answers

• Hi captainjamestkirk,

Actually, WSUS server will not "Push" updates for client, it's the client "Require" and "Download" updates from WSUS server.

Windows 10 has Delivery Optimization for updates, so, I think the issue is related with it, you may check the following article for detailed information.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/manage/waas-delivery-optimization

Besides, you may turn to windows 10 forum for better explanation about win10 update behavior.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 5:51 AM

All replies

• Hi captainjamestkirk,

Actually, WSUS server will not "Push" updates for client, it's the client "Require" and "Download" updates from WSUS server.

Windows 10 has Delivery Optimization for updates, so, I think the issue is related with it, you may check the following article for detailed information.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/windows/manage/waas-delivery-optimization

Besides, you may turn to windows 10 forum for better explanation about win10 update behavior.

Best Regards,

Anne

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 5:51 AM
  • thanks Anne, once I made the recommended changes in group policy for site 2 to use branchcache and delivery optimization to share updates among the win 10 machines instead of just receiving from WSUS I no longer see the slow pings or dropped pings across the MPLS.

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 2:39 PM
  • Hi captainjamestkirk,

Glad you hear it works and you are welcome :)

Best Regards,

Anne

Thursday, January 5, 2017 1:53 AM