Two separate farms to use same SQL backend RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have current farm with MOSS Service pack 1 x82 on Win2K3 x82 with SQL2005 on Win2k8 x64.

As I am trying to upgrade MOSS to x64 on Win2K8 X64. So, is it possible or correct approach to setup separate box with x64 MOSS SP2 and create config databases and rest of the settings to use existing database server SQL2005 with win2k8 x64 and take a copy existing content database and use AddContent db command to upgrade?

I have checked all my custom solutions which are ok to run on x64 of MOSS environment.

I know there are few KBs and blogs on upgrading SharePoint from x82 to X64, but it is more time consuming then the approach I took, but however I would like get expert advise to see if this has any complications there after.

I would welcome advise from MVPs if possible, that doesn't mean that I am ruling out others. 

Thanks guys

Thursday, January 24, 2013 4:40 PM

Answers

• instead of performing the operations you describe to üpgrade your 32-bit MOSS servers to 64-bit, you can simply setup the new MOSS 64 bit servers and join those servers to the same farm. This way you do not need to copy content databases etc. Join the 64 bit servers, configure the required services and then remove the 32 bit servers from the farm.

Dirk Van den Berghe

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 2:01 PM

All replies

• Hi All,

No one has any suggestions / recommendations?

Thanks

Friday, January 25, 2013 4:44 PM
  • If your question is "can I create a second farm on the same SQL box?" then the answer is "Yes".  Just ensure you use a different naming convention than your original build. 

Paul Turner http://www.askPT.co.uk Twitter: @RedMantaUK MCTS:WSS,MOSS,2010 MCITP:2010.
    Please remember to click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if it was useful.

Friday, January 25, 2013 5:04 PM
  • instead of performing the operations you describe to üpgrade your 32-bit MOSS servers to 64-bit, you can simply setup the new MOSS 64 bit servers and join those servers to the same farm. This way you do not need to copy content databases etc. Join the 64 bit servers, configure the required services and then remove the 32 bit servers from the farm.

Dirk Van den Berghe

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 2:01 PM
  • While you're right Dirk, you need to be very careful about adding 64 bit servers to the existing farm.  Microsoft's recommendation is it's fine to mix servers providing they're all in the same tier.

i.e using 64bit Application servers and 32 bit web servers, adding a 64 bit web server with existing 32 bit goes against this recommendation.

Paul Turner http://www.askPT.co.uk Twitter: @RedMantaUK MCTS:WSS,MOSS,2010 MCITP:2010.
    Please remember to click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if it was useful.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 2:07 PM
  • Paul,

of course you are correct, but it is my understanding that he wants to replace all 32 bit servers by 64 bit so the period that these servers will be mixed is supposed to be minimal. Having both 32 bit and 64 bit servers in the same farm is not recommended, but is not forbidden either :)

Dirk Van den Berghe

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 2:36 PM