none
Unlock a smartcard using fingerprint in windows hello for business ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

In order to have a maximum security level, we were wondering if it is possible to unlock a smart card using fingerprint of windows hello. The idea is to insert a smartcard (like a Mifare) in the computer then to use the biometric framework of windows hello to unlock it: using fingerprint for example. 

Is this possible in windows hello or windows hello for business? 

Thanks

Thursday, July 5, 2018 10:04 AM

Answers

• 

No possible.

Compared with smartcard, Windows Hello or Windows Hello for business are also Interactive logon methods, all of them are used for login, have the same priority. Password has the highest priority.

Windows Hello or Windows Hello for Business is used for login(unlock system) rather than unlock hardware or software.

Therefore, we can’t use Windows Hello to unlock smartcard.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by lbahda Friday, July 6, 2018 1:23 PM
    Friday, July 6, 2018 3:10 AM

All replies

• 

No possible.

Compared with smartcard, Windows Hello or Windows Hello for business are also Interactive logon methods, all of them are used for login, have the same priority. Password has the highest priority.

Windows Hello or Windows Hello for Business is used for login(unlock system) rather than unlock hardware or software.

Therefore, we can’t use Windows Hello to unlock smartcard.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by lbahda Friday, July 6, 2018 1:23 PM
    Friday, July 6, 2018 3:10 AM
  • Thanks for your help 
    Friday, July 6, 2018 1:23 PM
  • So I am trying to do something similar but with only smartcard and pin.  Thus far I am still struggling to find a card and reader combo that works with windows hello (has a microsoft approved driver). If anyone knows of such a solution please let me know.

Friday, June 7, 2019 11:11 PM