none
Is Search Worth Migrating to SharePoint 2013 or 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• I was wondering what benefits is it for even Migrating Search Over to SharePoint 2013, since it's painfully difficult.

Mike W

SharePoint Engineer - Mike

Thursday, November 7, 2019 9:39 PM

All replies

• If you have Custom Crawled Properties then it's definitely worth it. I don't think this is that much complicated when you are moving from SharePoint 2013 to SharePoint 2016. I followed the below article to move my search from 2013 to 2016 and i was able to do it successfully without any issues.

http://blog.harter-web.de/2017/03/22/sharepoint-2013-restore-search-service-application-different-server-farm/

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Thursday, November 7, 2019 9:46 PM
  • Well I'm trying to do an export from SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint 2013 for Search initially and it's very difficult. I wish SharePoint documentation was better. It's all over the place.

Thursday, November 7, 2019 9:51 PM
  • In most cases, no it isn't. Even if you have a handful of custom managed properties or use existing MPs mapped to crawled properties, you can always record them and recreate them by hand after the new farm has been crawled.

Trevor Seward

Office Apps and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2019

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, November 7, 2019 9:53 PM
  • I'm leaning towards not migrating the Search. I've been trying to get it to work for 5 days. Other products make migrating streamlined. I don't understand why it's not with SharePoint.

Thursday, November 7, 2019 9:55 PM
  • Hi Mike, 

Migration time will vary with respect to size of the data you wish to migrate and all SharePoint customization elements (workflows, webparts, templates etc). If you have huge amounts of data, it will proportionately take more time to complete the content migration. Also, SharePoint’s system configuration will also have an impact on the migration time.

No doubt about it, if you prepare well, migrations can be relatively painless. However, no matter what, they still take time. 

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, November 8, 2019 6:52 AM
  • Well is it any straight forward documentation to migrate the service applications? I haven't found any. I think documentation would be very beneficial.

Friday, November 8, 2019 7:24 PM
  • Well is it any straight forward documentation to migrate the service applications? I haven't found any. I think documentation would be very beneficial.

The upgrade docs for 2013 -> 2016 are here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/upgrade-and-update/upgrade-to-sharepoint-server-2016. It outlines this process.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Friday, November 8, 2019 11:57 PM
  • I was asking for documentation on Service Applications to Migrate SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint 2013 to SharePoint 2016

Monday, November 11, 2019 1:01 PM
  • All of that is contained under the https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/upgrade-and-update/upgrade-and-update node.

Trevor Seward

Monday, November 11, 2019 3:23 PM
  • Hi Mike,

If a reply helps you, please remember to mark it as an answer.

Thanks for your understanding. 

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 9:27 AM