none
Win2012 - Updating Printer Preferences

Question

• Hello All,

As I understand it, if you have a printer shared out to clients and make  change to the default settings (like changing the default paper tray from 2 to 3), the clients have to delete and add the printer to get the new default setting.

My printers are deployed through group policy.  We've added a paper tray to one of our printers and I need to make sure everyone defaults to that 3rd paper tray.  It has been suggested that I add a script to delete the printers, however here are my questions:

1 - If I add a script, how can I be sure the script isn't running AFTER the policy has applied the printer connections to the client? Thus leaving the client with no printer?

2 - If I edit the group policy and basically delete the printer from the policy and add it back, will that force the client to pull down the printer connection again with the new default settings?

Windows 2012 server

Windows 7 clients

Thank you for your time!

Friday, March 10, 2017 8:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    1. It depends on how you configure script and printers in the GPO. Policy is applied when the computer starts and when the user logs on. When a user turns on the computer, the system applies computer policy firstly. Then a user logs on interactively, the system loads the user profile, and applies user policy.
    2. I assume that you deploy the printer via group policy preference, if that is the case, I would suggest that you could firstly disable this GPO and use another GPP to delete the printer from clients, as GPP has tattoo feature, then set new GPP to deploy printer again with new default printer settings. Please see: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/grouppolicy/2008/03/04/gp-policy-vs-preference-vs-gp-preferences/
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, March 13, 2017 6:06 AM
  • The printers are deployed via the User Configuration\Policies\Windows Settings\Deployed Printers

How would you use a GPP to delete a printer?  What would be the preferred method to delete the printer and then add it right back so the user is not at risk of being without a printer?

Thank you.

Monday, March 13, 2017 8:07 PM
  • Hi,

Regarding to configure printer item via GPP, you could follow the article as below step by step:

https://deployhappiness.com/deploying-printers-with-group-policy-preferences/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

>> What would be the preferred method to delete the printer and then add it right back so the user is not at risk of being without a printer?

Avoiding the risk is the one cause why I recommend GPP to deploy printer. You could see more details about it from: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732092(v=ws.11).aspx

Best regards,

Wendy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, March 16, 2017 8:39 AM
  • Thank you
    Friday, March 17, 2017 5:25 PM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue is going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, and if you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best regards,

Wendy

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 1:51 AM