none
DPM 2016 and Modern Storage RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on getting my DPM environment upgraded to DPM 2016 and Server 2016.  It is a slow process because our storage vendor, Tegile, will not be supporting server 2016 until this fall.  In the meantime I have one of our 2 physical DPM servers upgraded to DPM 2016.  I just setup a new DPM VM running Server 2016 and DPM 2016, named “DPM01”.  Its purpose is just to back up the DPM DBs from the physical DPM servers. 

I have been reading about Modern Backup Storage and would like to use it on DPM01 to see how it all works and such.  I have read the Microsoft doc about adding storage to DPM 2016, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center/dpm/add-storage but the workflow seems more confusing than it needs to be. 

It says:

1. Setup DPM 2016 on a VM
    2. Create a volume on a virtual Disk in a Storage Pool:

a. Add a disk to a Storage Pool and create a virtual disk with Simple Layout

b. Add any more disks, and extend the virtual disk

c. Create Volumes on the virtual disk

1. Add these volumes to DPM
    2. Configure Workload-Aware Storage

Are all these steps necessary to take advantage of Modern Backup Storage?  Or can I just present a disk to DPM01, a new vhdx, in this case, in Disk Mgmt – Bring it online and Initialize it, and then in the DPM Console - add this disk to the DPM Storage Pool Disks.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 8:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,

no those steps are not neccessary. Manuals for DPM 2016 are not very good at the Moment.

When using fresh installed DPM2016UR2 you don't have a choice, you can only use MBS.

So all you Need is a volume on a Basic disk no matter if virtual or physical.
    Format it default.
    After that give it a drive letter or mountpoint.
    You can then choose it within DPM, DPM will automatically reformat it as ReFS.

Configure Workload-Aware Storage is not neccessary, either.
    With that Feature you can make DPM to store Hyper-V, SQL etc Backups on different disks.

Take care, DPM2016 cannot span protection over volumes anymore!

Hope it helps.

/bkpfast

My postings are provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confer no rights

• Edited by bkpfast Friday, May 19, 2017 1:41 PM edited
    • Marked as answer by WSUAL2 Thursday, June 22, 2017 7:32 PM
    Friday, May 19, 2017 1:33 PM
  • There is still a 17 TB LUN limit in DPM 2016.
    • Marked as answer by WSUAL2 Thursday, June 22, 2017 7:31 PM
    Thursday, June 22, 2017 7:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,

no those steps are not neccessary. Manuals for DPM 2016 are not very good at the Moment.

When using fresh installed DPM2016UR2 you don't have a choice, you can only use MBS.

So all you Need is a volume on a Basic disk no matter if virtual or physical.
    Format it default.
    After that give it a drive letter or mountpoint.
    You can then choose it within DPM, DPM will automatically reformat it as ReFS.

Configure Workload-Aware Storage is not neccessary, either.
    With that Feature you can make DPM to store Hyper-V, SQL etc Backups on different disks.

Take care, DPM2016 cannot span protection over volumes anymore!

Hope it helps.

/bkpfast

My postings are provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confer no rights

• Edited by bkpfast Friday, May 19, 2017 1:41 PM edited
    • Marked as answer by WSUAL2 Thursday, June 22, 2017 7:32 PM
    Friday, May 19, 2017 1:33 PM
  • Thanks for the information.  It is very helpful.

I've attached a disk, created a volume, formatted it and added it to DPM so that's covered and DPM01 is working well.

Onto the second server DPM2.  This server has been upgraded to DPM 2016 UR2, however it is a physical server running Windows Server 2012 R2 and I cannot upgrade the OS to Server 2016 until our Storage Vendor, Tegile supports Server 2016 which is slated for later this summer.  I can at least prepare for moving to Modern Backup Storage now so I know what to do later this summer.  

Currently on DPM2, I have 5 - 12 TB LUNs attached and added to the DPM Storage Pool.  I want to upgrade to Modern Backup Storage after upgrading to Server 2016.  What is the recommended sizing for the volume(s) to add to the DPM Storage Pool?  Should I just add one volume and make it really big or multiple smaller volumes?

In DPM 2016, is there a LUN size limit, such as indicated here for DPM 2012 R2? (Maximum of 17 TB for GUID partition table (GPT) dynamic disks) Sizing Limits for DPM Storage under the "Disks and Storage" section.

• Edited by WSUAL2 Friday, May 26, 2017 3:57 PM
    Friday, May 26, 2017 3:55 PM
  • There is still a 17 TB LUN limit in DPM 2016.
    • Marked as answer by WSUAL2 Thursday, June 22, 2017 7:31 PM
    Thursday, June 22, 2017 7:31 PM