none
Dynamic duration? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. is it possible to calculate the duration of a task instead of manually entering it?

Suppose we have two tasks A, B, C and D. A/B/C have estimated duration, predecessors and successors, while D is a kind of their supporting activities and its duration corresponds to the total duration of A/B/C. I don't want to set a specific duration to D because it result in fixing the total duration of A/B/C/D instead of having Project calculate it. I think I can achieve set the duration via VBA but wonder if there are any best practices.

Monday, March 23, 2020 7:15 PM

Answers

• kaz_

Your task D looks like a classic hammock - i.e. a task whose duration is adjusted automatically to span between a start and a finish that are determined by other tasks.  The standard instructions for hammocks are found here:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/prj-how-to-build-a-hammock-task-b6d72c5a-f022-47ac-9e3a-cde98ae94e27.

Those instructions rely on paste-links between tasks, which can be problematic for a couple reasons.  There is also an "alternate approach to hammocks in microsoft project," including a vba solution for auto-adjusting the duration.  A quick internet search should find it for you.  Good luck, tom

• Marked as answer by kaz_ Tuesday, March 24, 2020 3:45 AM
    Monday, March 23, 2020 9:38 PM

All replies

• kaz_

Your task D looks like a classic hammock - i.e. a task whose duration is adjusted automatically to span between a start and a finish that are determined by other tasks.  The standard instructions for hammocks are found here:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/prj-how-to-build-a-hammock-task-b6d72c5a-f022-47ac-9e3a-cde98ae94e27.

Those instructions rely on paste-links between tasks, which can be problematic for a couple reasons.  There is also an "alternate approach to hammocks in microsoft project," including a vba solution for auto-adjusting the duration.  A quick internet search should find it for you.  Good luck, tom

• Marked as answer by kaz_ Tuesday, March 24, 2020 3:45 AM
    Monday, March 23, 2020 9:38 PM
  • This is exactly what I was looking for!!. I didn't know that this type of task has a particular name - Hammock Task - Cool!. Thank you very much!
    Tuesday, March 24, 2020 3:45 AM