How Do I Pin Scripts to the Taskbar? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an icon for a script (publish.cmd) on my desktop. However, I usually have to close multiple windows or show the desktop in order to launch it.How can I pin the icon to the task bar so it's always visible & available?
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 6:53 PM

Answers

• You can restore the Quick Launch bar you were used to in XP, though it takes a bit of effort.

Ronnie Vernon documented the steps here: Please restore the Quick Launch

I've done this and prefer it over the Windows 7 TaskBar.
    Rich
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, December 3, 2009 8:30 AM
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 12:25 AM
  • How can I pin the icon to the task bar so it's always visible & available?

It is possible like "Pin file to taskbar" see here – but use path to your script "publish.cmd" instead of path to document.
    • Marked as answer by aksarben1400 Tuesday, December 8, 2009 8:44 PM
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 6:30 PM
  • Thanks! I had since hit on a similar technique using the command interpreter (cmd.exe). However, your post showed me that once I pinned the script icon to the task bar, I could eliminate "C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c" from the beginning of the target line. It's now obvious that Windows can run scripts from task bar icons, but Microsoft's user interface designers forgot to add the "pinning" capability. If They want to keep market share, hopefully they will rectify that oversight in a service pack soon.
    • Proposed as answer by Brian Borg Wednesday, December 9, 2009 8:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by aksarben1400 Wednesday, December 9, 2009 11:19 PM
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 8:44 PM
  • Isn't it amazing that Windows 7 has less functionality than Windows XP? What was Microsoft thinking?

That aside, how does one "create a toolbar" for a folder?

Right click the Taskbar.  Select Toolbars > New Toolbar.  Browse to the folder of your choice.

This is also how you re-enable QuickLaunch.

Nitinagarwal1988's suggestion would be similar to putting an icon for the script in QuickLaunch.

Another option is to enable the Desktop toolbar.  I like to leave "Show Text" and "Show title" enabled and shrink the toolbar to the minimum size (next to the notification area).  There I can click on the little ">>" button and have a list of all the icons on the desktop pop up.  If you have "Show on Desktop" enabled for system folders such as Computer, Network, Recycle Bin, etc. these are expandible as flyouts.  Cool.
    • Edited by Brian Borg Thursday, December 3, 2009 1:04 AM
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 12:07 AM

All replies

• there is no direct way......

All you can do is to create a new folder and put that utlitiy in it and then create a toolbar for that folder and enable that toolbar in the taskbar and hence the contents of that folder got displayed there !!
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 10:06 PM
  • Isn't it amazing that Windows 7 has less functionality than Windows XP? What was Microsoft thinking?

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 11:13 PM

Right click the Taskbar.  Select Toolbars > New Toolbar.  Browse to the folder of your choice.

This is also how you re-enable QuickLaunch.

Nitinagarwal1988's suggestion would be similar to putting an icon for the script in QuickLaunch.

Another option is to enable the Desktop toolbar.  I like to leave "Show Text" and "Show title" enabled and shrink the toolbar to the minimum size (next to the notification area).  There I can click on the little ">>" button and have a list of all the icons on the desktop pop up.  If you have "Show on Desktop" enabled for system folders such as Computer, Network, Recycle Bin, etc. these are expandible as flyouts.  Cool.
    • Edited by Brian Borg Thursday, December 3, 2009 1:04 AM
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 12:07 AM
  • You can restore the Quick Launch bar you were used to in XP, though it takes a bit of effort.

Ronnie Vernon documented the steps here: Please restore the Quick Launch

I've done this and prefer it over the Windows 7 TaskBar.
    Rich
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 12:25 AM
  • How can I pin the icon to the task bar so it's always visible & available?

It is possible like "Pin file to taskbar" see here – but use path to your script "publish.cmd" instead of path to document.
    • Marked as answer by aksarben1400 Tuesday, December 8, 2009 8:44 PM
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 6:30 PM
  • Thanks! I had since hit on a similar technique using the command interpreter (cmd.exe). However, your post showed me that once I pinned the script icon to the task bar, I could eliminate "C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c" from the beginning of the target line. It's now obvious that Windows can run scripts from task bar icons, but Microsoft's user interface designers forgot to add the "pinning" capability. If They want to keep market share, hopefully they will rectify that oversight in a service pack soon.
    • Proposed as answer by Brian Borg Wednesday, December 9, 2009 8:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by aksarben1400 Wednesday, December 9, 2009 11:19 PM
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 8:44 PM