Account Password RRS feed

• Question

• My laptop runs Windows Vista Home Edition, have been using it for awhile, I forgot the password for my user account and I don't have a reset password disk for the restoration of my password account. I don't want to loose my files and information tored in my laptop for reinstalling the OS, I hope I could find a way out of this, now I cannot acccess to my account since.

Monday, August 18, 2008 7:09 PM

Answers

• Carimarcel

I'm assuming that your account is an Administrator account.

Do you have access to another Administrator on the computer?

If you do, you can log onto the second admin account, open Control Panel / User Accounts. Select Manage another account. Select the first administrator account and then select 'Remove the password'.

This will reset the password on the first account. You can then log into the first account and create a new password for that account.

Be sure to create a password reset disk this time.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 2:43 AM

All replies

• Carimarcel

I'm assuming that your account is an Administrator account.

Do you have access to another Administrator on the computer?

If you do, you can log onto the second admin account, open Control Panel / User Accounts. Select Manage another account. Select the first administrator account and then select 'Remove the password'.

This will reset the password on the first account. You can then log into the first account and create a new password for that account.

Be sure to create a password reset disk this time.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 2:43 AM
  • I have the same problem but i dont have access to the Administrator account only the guest account. This means i cant change anything on my laptop. How can i reset all User Accounts & start from scratch?

Friday, October 10, 2008 6:14 PM
  • Hayley

There are several other ways to recover if you did not create a password reset disk when you set the password on that admin account. 

This procedure is free, but can be complex and requires advanced computer skills.

Offline NT Password & Registry Editor:
    http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/main.html

There is also software available that you can purchase that will solve the problem, easily.

The program that I recommend is the first one, it is very easy to create a recovery disk that you can use on any Windows PC. These recovery programs usually cost about 30-40 USD.

@PC: Windows Password Recovery Software. Reset Administrator Password. XP VISTA 2003 2000 NT.:
    http://www.password-changer.com/

Windows Password Recovery Key - Resets the Administrator account password:
    http://tinyurl.com/2qr7oc

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Friday, October 10, 2008 9:23 PM
  • Thanks Ronnie!  This was a great help with getting my vista profile password reset.  It's been that way for a while and I wondered how I was gonna get it reset.  To tell you the truth, I never thought about doing it that way, I actually created another acct and then changed the one on my profile.  Now I'm all good,  Thanks a million!

Brent

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 6:13 PM
  • Brent

I'm very glad this information helped to resolve the problem.

Enjoy.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 6:45 PM