Desktop Thumbnails RRS feed

• General discussion

• Is there anyway to disable Thumbnail viewing on the desktop without turning off "Show Thumbnails instead of Icons" for all folder viewing.

It makes no sense to me to show Thumbnails in place of Icons for some, but not all, Image files on the desktop,
    or a Thumbnail of the contents of a pdf file for an Icon.

I cannot easily see what Image files I'm working with on my desktop.
    Friday, July 31, 2009 11:42 AM

All replies

• Bump ... I'd really like to be able to see what I'm working with on my Desktop without disabling all Thumbnail Browsing.
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 1:24 PM
  • Other than making a separate folder within which you keep the "sensitive" images and which sits on the desktop, I know of no way to do what you want to do.  Perhaps in that folder you can use Large Icons and see the images better.

-Noel
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 6:12 PM
  • I don't think that will work.
    I want to be able to see Icons on the Desktop ... Without disabling all Thumbnail Browsing.
    A folder would have the same Thumbnails that are currently showing on the Desktop for some, But not all Image files.

On the Desktop .. I need to see the Image file type ... Not a micro miniature view of what's in it.

Sunday, November 29, 2009 9:24 PM
  • Ah, I misinterpreted your intent a little.  However, I don't think it changes the answer

Said in summary what you want is, for any given image, to be able to control whether the thumbnail or an icon for the associated application appears.  True?

Not having used Windows this way, myself, I'll ask:  Can you sense the conditions under which an icon or a thumbnail appears?  Are some file types (e.g., .JPG) always showing thumbnails while others (e.g., .PSD) showing only icons?

Do you have Explorer set to show you the file extensions?

-Noel
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 9:32 PM
  • Yes .. But sometimes the file name is too long to see the extension.
    I'd rather use my Customized Irfanview Icons .. But W7 wont let me as long as Thumbnails are turned on.
    Many times .. I may have several Image files on my desktop .. With the same file name.

Browsing Thumbnails in a folder is handy .. But on the desktop .. its Stupid.
    I'd really like to have a choice.

Monday, November 30, 2009 12:17 AM
  • I'm still looking for a way to disable thumbnail viewing on the desk top ONLY

Anyone know of a way to do this ???

Thursday, January 6, 2011 7:33 PM