none
High Latency High Bandwidth File Services performance RRS feed

• Question

• I have a scenario where we will have an office with ~1000 users (Windows 10 clients) connecting to Win2016 File Servers in a datacentre, over a long-distance high-bandwidth 10Gbps circuit between cities with ~12ms latency.

I want to know what (if any) tuning is required (server side, or client side) to ensure that users receive fast file services performance with that kind of latency.

Is it possible to make it perform like the file server was on the local client subnet?

The client workloads are mixed general purpose SMB. Home drives, MS Office documents, CAD documents.

Tuesday, February 18, 2020 12:38 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

Thanks for your posting here.

Based on your situation, it seems you want to improve the file service performance on network side.

Please understand, our forum doesn't focus on network related question. I would suggest you have this asked in network forum for better answers.

Here is the link:

Windows 10 Networking

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Finally, you could mark the useful reply as answer if you want to end this thread up.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Tuesday, February 18, 2020 8:13 AM
  • Hi Candy,

The question is a Windows File Services question, not a network question.

Over the years there have been a number of tuning options for Windows file services, such as HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters\DisableBandwidthThrottling

which according to Microsoft "By default, the SMB redirector throttles throughput across high-latency network connections, in some cases to avoid network-related timeouts. Setting this registry value to 1 disables this throttling, enabling higher file transfer throughput over high-latency network connections."

So I'm wanting to know what the recommend settings are now with Win2016 or 2019 Server's...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/performance-tuning/role/file-server/

Regards,

Simon

Tuesday, February 18, 2020 7:23 PM
  • Hi ,

According to the article you post:

The general tuning parameters for client computers can optimize a computer for accessing remote file shares, particularly over some high-latency networks (such as branch offices, cross-datacenter communication, home offices, and mobile broadband). 

The settings are not optimal or appropriate on all computers. You should evaluate the impact of individual settings before applying them.

Best Regards,

Candy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Wednesday, February 19, 2020 7:17 AM

• Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,
    Candy

Friday, February 21, 2020 8:59 AM

• I want to know what (if any) tuning is required (server side, or client side) to ensure that users receive fast file services performance with that kind of latency.

I wouldn't consider 12ms as a high latency for SMB. Even for iSCSI it is still acceptable. The bandwidth may be higher problem here, if for example 500 user will access files simultaneously. 

Friday, February 21, 2020 1:08 PM
  • Thanks for the response @LaMerk.

So when that Microsoft article mentions "high latency", what latency are they actually talking about? ie. for DisableBandwidthThrottling, what are the latency threshold metrics where throttling starts?

Are there any published netbench (or other) benchmark results for SMB over various latency's, and with the various tuning options enabled/disabled?

Friday, February 21, 2020 9:54 PM