none
How to force password change on first login for LOCAL account?

Question

• I must create a roughly a dozen LOCAL accounts on a MS Surface Pro 3 running Windows 8.1 that is shared in a workplace. The workplace has a Windows 2003 Server and a domain; the Surface is in the domain and known in the Active Directory.

I would like to create each account with a dummy password, and require the user to change the password immediately on first login.

How do I do that? Is the technique for Windows 10 the same?

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 10:45 PM

Answers

• Hi ERQUinones,

Thank you for your question.

We could right click “Start” and choose “Computer Management”->”Local User and Group”->”Users”, then right click “New User..” and create user, please must check “User must change password at next logon”, as the following snapshot:

The same operation  is for Windows 10.

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by jim-xu Wednesday, December 2, 2015 4:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LSModerator Thursday, December 3, 2015 5:08 AM
    Thursday, November 26, 2015 8:54 AM

All replies

• I would create an admin account for you lock out any way for the users to create one through GPEDIT.msc then let them create there own account and make sure they can only use a standard user account through gpedit.msc

you might be able to find a ACL script through Microsoft script Center that would do that

also creating that many accounts would be very time consuming as you would also have to set up each individual

account's security setting's on all account's using gpedit also

also for security you also need to lock out any Microsoft account made through the store

windows 10 does not have this problem with making actual Microsoft store account's

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 11:32 PM
  • Hi ERQUinones,

Thank you for your question.

We could right click “Start” and choose “Computer Management”->”Local User and Group”->”Users”, then right click “New User..” and create user, please must check “User must change password at next logon”, as the following snapshot:

The same operation  is for Windows 10.

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by jim-xu Wednesday, December 2, 2015 4:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by Michael_LSModerator Thursday, December 3, 2015 5:08 AM
    Thursday, November 26, 2015 8:54 AM