Activation expiry & reactivation RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi there,

I activated a Vista machine using KMS which went fine. The machine was not used for some time and upon using it, I discovered the activation had expired (what's the period when the activation expires? 90 days?).

When I tried to reactivate the machine (again using KMS), it used a new license. When I called tech support their solution was to reformat and reinstall Vista. I do not believe this is the correct solution. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 6:13 AM

Answers

•  

Hello,

KMS activation is good for 180 days.

I am not sure I understand what you refer to when you state that when it KMS activated that it used a new license,

The activation occurs on the client, not the KMS host machine, it simply supplies a count to the kms clients that connect to it.  THe count is not used for anything else.  The count is not for licenses consumed.

The count stops when the 2 times the client count to activate is reached.  So for Vista it stops at counting at 50 for Vista, for Windows Server 2008 it stops counting at 10.

• Marked as answer by Anthony_Mann Monday, December 15, 2008 4:29 AM
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 1:58 AM

All replies

•  

Hello,

KMS activation is good for 180 days.

I am not sure I understand what you refer to when you state that when it KMS activated that it used a new license,

The activation occurs on the client, not the KMS host machine, it simply supplies a count to the kms clients that connect to it.  THe count is not used for anything else.  The count is not for licenses consumed.

The count stops when the 2 times the client count to activate is reached.  So for Vista it stops at counting at 50 for Vista, for Windows Server 2008 it stops counting at 10.

• Marked as answer by Anthony_Mann Monday, December 15, 2008 4:29 AM
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 1:58 AM
  • Are you speaking of a KMS Server or a KMS client here?
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 9:50 AM