Content editor RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am totally new to sharepoint, so hopefully this is an easy question and just me not on top of things.

I am trying to add external content to a page in sharepoint (office server 2007)

I expected to find the "content editor web part" in the gallery, but it is simply not there.

What am I doing wrong? Help is very much appreciated

Thanks

Bo
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 12:12 PM

Answers

• Hi Bo

On that list what happens if you click on new.  Also what type of site did you create i.e. team site, document workspace etc..

Also can you check what features on your site are enabled, I believe the publishing feature whold be activated for this.

regards

Richard Hogan, Development Manager, SDT Ltd, www.sdt.co.uk
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 3:32 PM

All replies

• Hi

The content editor web part should appear under the miscellaneous section of your web part list (you do not need to go the the advanced web part gallery).  However, I do not think this is the control you are going to need, as you state that you want to add external content.  The content editor web part is primarily used to allow your users to add the own custom content, not to extract external content and display it.

Can you clarify exactly what you are trying to achieve.

regards
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 12:41 PM
  • Hi Richard,

We develop a reporting package. Reports can be displayed within its own framework, or disconnected from the framework -to be integrated in other web portals. This is ususally done by placing them in iframes or in embedded browsers in applications. The disconnected report has its own url, and is (currently) a whole html document -but we can of course modify that if only certain parts are needed.

I did see mentioned a different web part that looked right as well (cant remember the name) but I did not have that available either

Thanks
    Bo

PS - under miscellaneous, only "Contact Details" appear

• Edited by Bo Andersen Tuesday, November 25, 2008 1:31 PM added ps
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 1:22 PM
  • Hi Bo

In this case the content web part is not the one you need.  I would look at either the Page Viewer webpart, XML webpart or possibly a business data catalogue.  Out of these the Page viewer is probably the easiest to set up and maintain, but it offers you the least functionality.

As to the web parts not appearing check your user level permissions for the current site and the top level site.  You should have at least reader and probably contribute rights.

regards

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 2:18 PM
  • Thanks Richard,

I have given myself all possible permissions, but I still only see a few available web parts (38 items in the gallery - zero in "server gallery") Is the a place on the server I can verify available parts

Thanks

Bo
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 2:56 PM
  • Hi Bo

Go to Site Actions --> Site settings --> modify all site settings.  Under the galleries listing is an option named Web Parts.  On this screen it should list all available web parts for the current site. 

Regards

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 3:07 PM
  • Hi Bo

The web part should be called MSContentEditor.dwp.

regards
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 3:10 PM
  • Ok - found that, but I only have these:
    AdvancedSearchBox.dwp 
    CategoryResultsWebPart.webpart 
    CategoryWebPart.webpart 
    Colleagues.dwp 
    contactlinks.dwp 
    contactwp.dwp 
    InCommon.dwp 
    LatestBlogPostsPublic.webpart 
    membershipdocs.dwp 
    memberships.dwp 
    mydocs.dwp 
    mypics.dwp 
    myworks.dwp 
    owa.dwp 
    owacalendar.dwp 
    owacontacts.dwp 
    owainbox.dwp 
    owatasks.dwp 
    PeopleSearchBox.dwp 
    PeopleSearchCoreResults.webpart 
    quicklinks.dwp 
    RssViewer.webpart 
    SearchActionLinks.webpart 
    SearchBestBets.webpart 
    SearchBox.dwp 
    SearchCoreResults.webpart 
    SearchHighConfidence.webpart 
    searchpaging.dwp 
    searchstats.dwp 
    searchsummary.dwp 
    siteFramer.dwp 
    TasksAndTools.webpart 
    ThisWeekInPictures.DWP 
    TopSitesWebPart.webpart 
    welcomewebpart.dwp 

Thanks

Bo
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 3:21 PM
  • Hi Bo

On that list what happens if you click on new.  Also what type of site did you create i.e. team site, document workspace etc..

Also can you check what features on your site are enabled, I believe the publishing feature whold be activated for this.

regards

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 3:32 PM