Adding properties to a document template in a site content type. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

Iv just added a document template to a site content type which have site columns attached to it. When I upload and edit the Word template I cant add the columns as properties in the template. The only way I found that I could do that was by adding the content type to a dummy document library and there add the properties save the document as a template and upload it again to the site content type but that doesn't feel right.

What am I doing wrong, why cant I add the properties/site column to the Word template directly in the site content type?

Is it possible to clear a template of all its previous properties, ie when you move a template from one content type to another?

Monday, May 14, 2012 4:16 PM

Answers

• Hi SPForLife,

When you create a new site content type, you must choose an existing (parent) site content type on which to create your new site content type. The new site content type that you create inherits the attributes of the parent. After you create a new site content type, you can make changes to it, such as adding or removing columns.

You can refer to the following link.

http://sharepointroot.com/2008/08/26/microsoft-word-template-dotx-sharepoint-contenttype/

When you want to move a template to another content type, you only copy your template to another content type. All its previous properties is separate.

Thanks,

Jack

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 7:51 AM