Upgrade Issues - XP Pro SP2 to Vista Build 5384 RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys,

I upgraded my Dell 9400 yesterday during a TechNet event from XP Pro SP2 to Vista Beta 2 Build 5384 and now I'm having loads of issues.

Several applications are not working, including Norton AV 2006.  Everytime I restart I get this process that is using 50% CPU called mskdetct.exe.  I've found that it is something McAfee, but I have no McAfee products installed.

Several laptop hardware devices no longer work properly.  A box keeps popping up that says 'Bluetooth Settings has stopped working' and my only option is to Close Program.  My touchpad no longer supports the shortcuts (Drag down right-side and bottom to scroll, etc)

Windows Explorer is continuing to crash and just says Wait for it to respond or restart it.  I can't access the computer settings, add-remove programs, network properties or anything else that might help me diagnose the problem.  The quick search in the start menu just causes Windows Explorer to crash too and never returns anything.

Anyone have issues such as this or have any resolutions?  Windows update didn't fix anything.

Thanks,

Chris Murphy

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 2:06 PM

All replies

• I'ts never a good idea to upgrade to a new OS, even if it's said to work.
    Norton AV don't work in Vista and the XP drivers for your hardware might not be compatible with Vista yet. Try a clean install and heck for beta drivers on the HW-makers website :)
    Friday, October 6, 2006 12:20 AM