none
Automatically populate disks in device manager RRS feed

• Question

• Currently we use a software package to make an inventory of all the devices that are running within our organization. However the package requires information which is not available until populate the disk (under Device Manager > Disk Drives > Properties > Volumes).

The problem is that if we have to manually perform this action for every device we roll out, this would take quite a bit of time. Therefore we are looking into automating the task in itself. However I can find very little about it.

I figured it would be possible to force it to trigger using Powershell or a .bat script.

My question is, is there anyone who knows more about it or how to automate this process?

I already tried to let the software package get the info from the Get-Volume cmdlet, however since I don't have access to the source code of the software, I cannot alter it.

Any help or directions are greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 2:22 PM

Answers

• That only causes device manager to load the existing volumes.  It does not change the system in any way.  All volumes are loaded whenever a disk is attached or activated.

You can always see all volumes in File Explorer without any need to populate anything.

You need to work with the vendor of your third party tool. This is not a scripting issue.

\_(ツ)_/

• Marked as answer by Thomas G333 Wednesday, February 1, 2017 10:54 AM
    Wednesday, February 1, 2017 10:44 AM

All replies

• Currently we use a software package to make an inventory of all the devices that are running within our organization.
    My question is, is there anyone who knows more about it or how to automate this process?

What software package? What process?

You are going to need to be more specific in your question. Remember that we can't read your mind, we don't have access to your network, and we cannot see your screen.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 6:44 PM
  • Disk manager is automatically populated when a device is attached so your question seems to be somehow incorrect.

As Bill has noted - we cannot make guesses about third party software.

\_(ツ)_/

• Edited by jrv Tuesday, January 31, 2017 8:38 PM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2017 8:38 PM
  • My bad.

We use Snow as an Inventory Client to get information about our machines (both hardware and software).

As for the process, I mean the process to populate a disk. The disk I'm particularly looking for is the internal disk. However for some reason it doesn't populate automatically, which is why I'm looking into making a script or batch file to execute this process.

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 9:34 AM
  • What are you trying to populate a disk with?

We don't support third party tools.  Post in the vendors forums for help.

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 9:43 AM
  • I'm actually using the populate option which is available under device manager > disk drives > volumes

As you can see, this does not automatically populate the disk. Therefore my question is, is there any way to create a script or batch file to automate this process instead of having to manually go to the device manager for every laptop we prep.

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 10:33 AM
  • That only causes device manager to load the existing volumes.  It does not change the system in any way.  All volumes are loaded whenever a disk is attached or activated.

You can always see all volumes in File Explorer without any need to populate anything.

You need to work with the vendor of your third party tool. This is not a scripting issue.

\_(ツ)_/

• Marked as answer by Thomas G333 Wednesday, February 1, 2017 10:54 AM
    Wednesday, February 1, 2017 10:44 AM