none
Error message in Outlook 365: "Cannot move the items." RRS feed

• Question

• Using Windows 10 64 bits and Office 365 32 bits.

I have a rule in Outlook to move repetitive messages to a specific folder within my own inbox. I receive like 30 of these e-mails every day so it´s pretty annoying.

This used to work just fine and I do have other rules setup which are all working fine. They all follow pretty much the same logic. Applies to incoming messages from specific user and sent to specific audience with specific words in the subject. Mark as read and move to a folder. All rules are moving e-mails to different sub-folders within my own Inbox. They all work except for these e-mails.

The rule fails (Cannot move to the "XXXX" folder) and then if I try to move them manually I get the error described in the title. I tried to create a new folder and redirect the rule to that one... but the same thing happens.

We don´t use PSTs in my company anymore. This is a folder in my mailbox. 

The e-mails are not tagged as private, both sensitivity and importance are normal. No read receipt, no delivery receipt. They do have attachments (just 1kb txt file).

EDIT: If I move these e-mails to a different folder it does work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

• Edited by JC ARG Wednesday, September 11, 2019 7:17 PM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2019 7:01 PM

All replies

• Does the folder have unique permissions? Right click it and check permissions. If you do not see this option in the desktop client, check permissions via webmail.
    Thursday, September 12, 2019 3:09 AM
  • Hi JC,

What's your account type? Exchange, POP or IMAP?

Do you mean that you cannot move any emails to this specific sub-folder? Can you move normally on the web mail?

According to my research, this could be a corruption in local data files. Please follow the steps in official article to repair data file.

We can also try opening Outlook in safe mode to see if the issue continues. Please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook /safe and then press Enter. This helps eliminate whether the problem lies on any third party add-ins.

If none of these helps, please test this issue in a new profile.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 12, 2019 4:29 AM
  • Hi - The folder had the same permissions as any other folder in my inbox: 

Permission Level: None

Read: None

Delete Items: None

All the other checkboxes unchecked.

Then I changed it to:

Permission Level: Owner

Read: Full Details

Delete Items: All

All checkboxes checked.

Friday, September 13, 2019 11:43 AM
  • Hi Perry,

It´s a corporate account. The type says "Microsoft Exchange".

OWA has been deactivated as a corporate decision for security reasons so I can´t really test that.

Can´t move any e-mail to that folder. If I try any other folder does work.

We don´t use PSTs anymore. The standard mailbox size in the company is 99 GB. And we also have an "online archive" but not sure if that is a Microsoft product.

My OST is almost 17 GB - That might be the issue. Can´t believe I forgot to check that :-)

I´ll give that a try and update this post whether the issue is solved or not.

Thanks!

Friday, September 13, 2019 11:52 AM
  • Go to Control Panel: Mail: Profiles and create a new, fresh profile. In the Control Panel: Mail settings, set the new profile as the default. You don't need to delete the current profile yet. However, you may need to change the current OST file extension to .old or something other than .ost so that Outlook doesn't try to open it.

Friday, September 13, 2019 1:04 PM
  • There are two possible reasons for your problem:

1. Your Outlook OST file is corrupted. OST format is very close to PST format.

2. Some properties of the items may be corrupted or invalid, which makes the copy or move operation fails.

You can find more detailed info at

https://www.datanumen.com/outlook-repair/problems/cant-move-the-items.htm

You may also do as follows to solve the problem:

1. Use MFCMAPI to open specific item that you cannot move. MFCMAPI can be downloaded at:

https://archive.codeplex.com/?p=mfcmapi

2. Remove the invalid or corrupt properties.

3. Try to move the item again.

Hi Perry,

It´s a corporate account. The type says "Microsoft Exchange".

OWA has been deactivated as a corporate decision for security reasons so I can´t really test that.

Can´t move any e-mail to that folder. If I try any other folder does work.

We don´t use PSTs anymore. The standard mailbox size in the company is 99 GB. And we also have an "online archive" but not sure if that is a Microsoft product.

My OST is almost 17 GB - That might be the issue. Can´t believe I forgot to check that :-)

I´ll give that a try and update this post whether the issue is solved or not.

Sunday, September 15, 2019 3:31 AM
  • Hi JC,

Any updates with this issue? Have you tested in a new profile and safe mode?

Do you change the default permission for this folder?

Please also have a look at Event Viewer when the issue occurs and see if any fault module will be recorded there so that we can do more research.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 16, 2019 7:21 AM
  • I have seen this error before... If I recall correctly it was because some of the emails had already been moved. I'll check my records/notes... In the meantime,

Two things to try:

1. Create a new folder and modify the rule to move the emails there instead. Test by running the rule manually.

If the issue persists... 2. Switch off all the other rules and then manually run this rule again on your inbox.There may be another rule that is interfering.

Also, what is the scope of the rule? Only your inbox? Or, does the rule apply to other folders + subfolders as well? Is it possible that the rule is attempting to move emails that are already in this folder, into the same folder?

If this doesn't help identify the cause, please attach a screenshot of the rule configuration.

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 5:03 AM