none
Unable to open EMS HTTP server error 500 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I recently completed an exchange migration from 2010 to 2016, perhaps not relevent. All was fine and working but a few weeks later I can't open EMS.

New-PSSession : [emailserver] Connecting to remote server emailserver failed with
    the following error message : The WinRM client received an HTTP server error status (500), but the remote service did
    not include any other information about the cause of the failure. For more information, see the
    about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic.
    At line:1 char:1
    + New-PSSession -ConnectionURI "$connectionUri" -ConfigurationName Micr ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : OpenError: (System.Manageme....RemoteRunspace:RemoteRunspace) [New-PSSession], PSRemotin
       gTransportException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : WinRMHttpError,PSSessionOpenFailed

EMTshooter gives the following error,

new-pssession : [emailserver] Connecting to remote server emailserver failed with
    the following error message : The WinRM client received an HTTP server error status (500), but the remote service did
    not include any other information about the cause of the failure. For more information, see the
    about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic.
    At C:\Users\admin\Desktop\EMTshooter\EMTConnectFunctions.ps1:177 char:15
    + ...  $session = new-pssession -connectionURI "http://$fqdn/powershell?ser ...
    +                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : OpenError: (System.Manageme....RemoteRunspace:RemoteRunspace) [New-PSSession], PSRemotin
       gTransportException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : WinRMHttpError,PSSessionOpenFailed

It used to say, powershell virtual directory M.I.A. but since then I've removed and recreated the powershell virtual directory using various scripts.

I've checked the SSL and virtual directory settings against other clients and they appear to be the same.

When browsing to, https://localhost:444/PowerShell

I receive a http error 500.

URL Redirect is not installed

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thursday, April 25, 2019 8:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you tell us about how do you recreate your PowerShell virtual directory?

I would suggest you take steps below then provide us with a screenshot about the result:

1. Run PowerShell with administrator privilege.

2. Enter the command below in it, then you will could run Exchange command in PowerShell:

Add-PSSnapin Microsoft.Exchange.Management.PowerShell.SnapIn;

3. After that, please run command below to check configuration of PowerShell virtual directory:

You can send this screenshot to this mailbox(ibsexc@microsoft.com)

We would suggest run those command below in PowerShell to recreate PowerShell virtual directory:

Remove PowerShell virtual directory:

Remove-PowerShellVirtualDirectory "PowerShell (Default Web Site)"

Create new virtual directory:

New-PowerShellVirtualDirectory -Name "PowerShell" -RequireSSL $false

Then run IISReset.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, April 26, 2019 9:12 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for coming back to me.

I've sent that over now. Yes it was those commands I used before. I won't try it again now as it might upset the users. I could do tonight. Let me know what you think of those settings I sent over.

Thanks again,

Friday, April 26, 2019 9:49 AM
  • Hi JimmyTechie,

From this screenshot, I can know you modify authentication methods for PowerShell virtual directory before.

So, I would suggest you remove it, then use the command that I provide to you to set default configuration for PowerShell virtual directory.

Then try to open EMS again.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, April 29, 2019 7:56 AM
  • Hi JimmyTechie,

I am writing here to confirm with you how thing going now?

If the above suggestion helps, please be free to mark it as an answer for helping more people.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Friday, May 3, 2019 1:49 AM
  • Hi,

Will do, has been difficult arranging the downtime. Hopefully I can try this evening.

Friday, May 3, 2019 6:58 AM
  • Hi, So just tried those commands you provided. All seemed to run successfully but safely PowerShell EMS is still broken on that server, Part of the error message says, New-pssession:[servername] connecting to remote server servername failed with the following error message : the winrar client received an HTTP server error status (500)
    Friday, May 3, 2019 7:01 PM