Windows Aero Problem. RRS feed

• Question

• I am absolutely out of ideas on how to fix Windows Aero. I've searched all over to find fixes and they all didn't work.

I'm running Win7x64 with a Zotac GTX650. The driver is updated and installed fine.

I tried running Fix It for Aero, Troubleshooting and Desktop Window Manager Restart but still nothing.

I've read that to run Aero, I need a card that supports at least DirectX 9, but I checked the card's specs online and it is running DirectX 11.

The weirdest thing about it is that it was working fine a few days ago, then there was a Windows Update, then after that the problem came about.

Also, when I boot my PC, it says Desktop Window Manager stopped working but it's listed fine in services.

I think there's something wrong with DirectX because at dxdiag, DirectDraw is disabled for some reason. I looked up how to enable it but its not working.

I hope someone can help and thank you to those who reply.

Friday, March 1, 2013 1:13 AM

Answers

• Hey Jerik0,

Have you tried rolling back your system prior to the update? If not I would give that a try. In case you are familiar with the process here is a quick rundown:

1. Control Panel > System > System Protection (located on the left hand side) > Click the "System Restore Button" > Chose the "Choose a different restore point" button down at the bottom of the applet and from there choose the snapshot that your system took prior to the update.

Another option would be to rollback/delete the system updates that you ran a few days ago.

1. Control Panel > Program and Features > Click "View Installed Updates" (on the left hand side)...from there you can sort by date, update type, etc...and after you select and update you want to delete, the "Uninstall" button will appear at the top of the window.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

-Paul

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Saturday, April 6, 2013 4:30 PM
    Sunday, March 3, 2013 1:20 AM