Issues with merged table cells after applying KB3213656 to Word 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We have applied KB3213656 to our Office 2016 environment in order to fix the Outlook spell check issue mentioned in the KB article. We have since noticed that this has broken tables in both Word and Outlook. Basically if you merge two or more cells, as long as at least two of the cells are in different rows, the resultant cell becomes completely unusable.  You cannot click into it, type into it or right click it. That is unless the merge includes the top row.

But that's not all!

If you open an existing document that has cells that have been merged previously. Any of those cells will appear completely blank. Doesn't matter which view you use in Word.

I have checked styles/indenting and all that but it's like the cells are completely empty...uninstalling the hotfix fixes the issue immediately, which is what we're doing for now (tables are more important than and extra few clicks in a spell check)

My question is: has any one else noticed this? I cant seem to find anyone else with the same issue online. Also is there some workaround or obvious fix that i'm missing?

We're using Office 2016 (not click to run) x86 on Windows 10 x64

Thanks in advance!

Friday, August 25, 2017 2:02 AM

All replies

• Hi Jase,

Thanks for your feedback. It seems that some other users are encounter the same issue as yours. Please confirm if the following thread talked about the same issue as yours:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_word-mso_win10/word-not-displaying-table-data-with-merged-cells/88d25b43-8441-4b64-9bcf-4d75b27a30f9?auth=1

Also I can reproduce your issue after I installed KB3213656 manually in a Windows 7 test machine. And the affected merge cells are randomly. Some merged cells are displayed fine and some cells are not.

Currently, you can uninstall this KB or paste the Excel merge cells as a Picture as a workaround. Thanks again for your feedback. We would submit the issue to Word product team and hope there is a fix released in the future update. 

Best Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 28, 2017 10:12 AM
  • My team can confirm the behavior mentioned above as well.  Once uninstalled, it worked as expected.  

I WILL say that the spell check issue with Windows 10 v1703 and Office 2016 (standalone, non-Office 365) does appear to be resolved with this update but with the behavior above, we cannot deploy it.  

Microsoft, please QA these updates.  The issues arising are showstoppers, especially the spell check issue which is finally fixed.  I work in a legal environment and these issues will upset many users if rolled out.

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 2:20 PM
  • Deleted
    Friday, September 8, 2017 3:37 PM
  • I found that for Windows 10 and Office 2016 x64 the KB that needs to be uninstalled is KB40111039.

Once I uninstalled this update I was able to see the data in merged cells like I should.  

However we are configured for WSUS and once I rebooted my computer the server pushed the update back out to my machine again.  After installing and rebooting I have the same issue again.

Anybody know when Microsoft might be sending out a patch to fix the patch?

Thanks

Kal

Friday, September 8, 2017 7:52 PM
  • It looks like this month's non-security Word 2016 patch KB 4011039 has the same bug. Still trying to nail down the differences, anyway.

Apparently Microsoft didn't fix the bug in last month's patch.

https://www.askwoody.com/2017/new-merged-table-bug-appears-this-time-with-septembers-word-patch-kb-4011039/

Woody Leonhard, writer, curmudgeon, and card-carrying Windows Victim

Friday, September 8, 2017 8:36 PM
  • I've asked MS folks to escalate this issue to Microsoft's Office product group. The issue has been confirmed and I was told from a MS employee, that a fix is targeted for October. 

See also the addendum to my blog post Update KB4011039 causes again Word/Outlook 2016 table bug

Günter Born 
    Born's Tech and Windows World
    Microsoft Answers forum community moderator - Insider MVP

Saturday, September 9, 2017 11:35 AM
  • Deleted
    Monday, September 11, 2017 1:58 PM
  • Hi all,

Thanks for all your feedback. This known issue for Word 2016 has been published in the following article:
    After installing KB 3213656 or KB 4011039, merged table cells don’t work correctly in Word or Outlook 

ISSUE        

After installing the August 8, 2017, update for Word 2016 (KB3213656) or the September 5, 2017, update for Word 2016 (KB4011039), you may encounter the following issues:

• If you merge vertical cells in a table, the cell content disappears, and you can’t select the merged cell.

• If you open an existing document that has a table with merged cells, the cells will appear to be blank.

This issue occurs only for those who receive Office 2016 updates using Windows Installer technology (MSI). If you have a Click-to-Run edition of Office, such as Office 365 Personal, you won’t encounter this issue.

As a workaround, you can uninstall both KBs and your tables will return to normal. We anticipate releasing the fix for this issue in the next monthly update, tentatively scheduled for October 3, 2017.

Thanks again for all your patience.

Best Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 12, 2017 1:50 AM
  • Thanks Winnie for the statement! Can you also link this article in a "Known Issues" section of both updates? Because most Folks will not want to install these updates if they know about the troubles in advance.

Tuesday, September 12, 2017 6:18 AM
  • Thanks Winnie for the statement! Can you also link this article in a "Known Issues" section of both updates? Because most Folks will not want to install these updates if they know about the troubles in advance.

Thanks for the feedback. The August 8, 2017, update for Word 2016 (KB3213656) and the September 5, 2017, update for Word 2016 (KB4011039) has been updated with the known issue currently. 

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Thursday, September 14, 2017 2:21 AM