Hyperlinks to .docx and .xlsx files won't open. RRS feed

• Question

• f people paste hyperlinks to .docx or .xlsx files (that are on Sharepoint) into an email message, clicking on the file, launches it as a zip file.  The Docicon and htmltransinfo.xml files have been updated on the Sharepoint server - You can open such files directly from the sharepoint site.  However, I find if I search the files on Sharepoint, I get the same launch as a zip file problem.   As a test, I pasted a link to a .docx file on our company intranet (Oracle - not SharePoint) in a message.  Same problem.  Is this a browser issue? A SharePoint Issue?  Any ideas?
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, July 21, 2010 4:07 PM Title cutr down to the problem. The speculation as to what is causing this goes in the text section
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 2:08 PM

Answers

• Hi cynlaugh,

What does “paste hyperlinks to .docx or .xlsx files” mean?

How did you update your DocIcon.xml file? Could you post the content which you modified into the forum for further analyze?

Do you mean the hyperlink points to a .docx file which is located on SharePoint site or not?

Did you use Outlook to send the e-mail message?

Did you install Office on your client, if not, please install them, then check the effect.

Understanding DocIcon.xml Files

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms463701.aspx

Regards, Rock Wang Microsoft Online Community Support
    Saturday, July 24, 2010 8:01 AM

All replies

• Hi cynlaugh,

What does “paste hyperlinks to .docx or .xlsx files” mean?

How did you update your DocIcon.xml file? Could you post the content which you modified into the forum for further analyze?

Do you mean the hyperlink points to a .docx file which is located on SharePoint site or not?

Did you use Outlook to send the e-mail message?

Did you install Office on your client, if not, please install them, then check the effect.

Understanding DocIcon.xml Files

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms463701.aspx

Regards, Rock Wang Microsoft Online Community Support
    Saturday, July 24, 2010 8:01 AM
  • Hi,

One of the problems in this forum is people have questions and issues, but don't have the necessary words to explain their problems sufficiently for someone in the forum to be able to help. They need to give as much as little details into their environment, especially the task they were doing that led to the problems. We need to stop being miserly with words. Those words are the sauce we use to eat the morsels of problems.

Please all, endeavor to shed more light and explain clearly without ambiguity.

Cheerio!

You've only got one life; help as many people as you can, and enjoy it while it lasts.
    Saturday, July 24, 2010 4:29 PM