Windows 7 sudden slow down, all audio distorted RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, and thanks in advance for the help. Last night my Windows 7 PC started acting strangely. Earlier in the day, I installed a few small games from Steam. Nothing strange there, do it all the time. A few hours later, my system started to lag during a completely different game that was already installed prior, but the issue seemed to resolve after a few seconds. After this happened a few times, I decided to restart the system as it hadn't been turned off in a few days. When the system came back up, the audio during login was distorted (slowed down and a glitch effect), and the system was still slow. The mouse was slow to move, clicking on things didn't register for a second or more, and things took an incredible amount of time to load. Startup time is usually around sixty seconds for all the my programs to load, but now it was over three minutes. I ran Avast anti virus, full system scan, took over seven hours to scan 500gb (it was still running when I woke up this morning), it found one item: the uninstall for my mouse's software (pretty sure false-positive, but dealt with it just in case.). Avast took automatic actions against it and I restarted the system.  No change, the system is still slow and sound is still distorted. This is consistent across all applications, system sounds, etc. Not sure what the problem is, any help would be most useful. Thanks again in advance.
    Saturday, March 25, 2017 2:34 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Did the issue occur before? Have you made any changes when the issue occurred?

I noticed that after you installed a few small games this issue occurred, have you updated the audio drivers? It seems like compatibility issue.

In addition, you can also try the following steps and check the result.

Go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > Playback tab.

Right click on a playback device, and choose Configure Speakers. The default is set to Stereo. I recommend choosing Quadrophonic if you do not have a subwoofer, and 5.1 Surround if you have a subwoofer connected. Go through the tests and confirm OK. Go through the rest of the playback devices.

Finally, re-confirm default playback device (even if it was already set as default device – by choosing a difference device as default first then re-selecting the intended default device).

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Tony_Tao Wednesday, April 19, 2017 2:34 AM
    Monday, March 27, 2017 5:08 AM