none
Global vs One User Restrictions Possible? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I just got around to trying an old forums response entitled "How do I remove all programs from appearing in start menu".  I couldn't find the original thread so I am going to ask about your experiences with it here ....

Specifically, if you apply the Group Policy approach and run GPEDIT to restrict the "AllPrograms" from appearing, does it effect all users or just the user profile you set it in?  When I tried it all user profiles were effected (not what I wanted, since "admin" should keep full control).  I didn't try the REGEDIT version to see if it only effects the user it is run in.

Is there any way to ONLY effect the "Cafe User" and not "ADMIN" with this restriction?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 7:43 PM

All replies

• Hi Mike, have you checked the following thread regarding the issue:

How do I remove All Programs from appearing in Start Menu
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/windowssteadystate/thread/b694628c-0f34-419c-873c-8c5163a5261a

The group policy metioned in the thread is per user instead of computer:

Local Computer Policy\User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar\Remove All Programs list from the Start menu

Hope this helps!
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Friday, January 15, 2010 5:44 AM
  • Yes, that is the thread I was using to try this work-around.  However, when I tried it the effect was on both the "Cafe User" and the "Admin" desktops, despite having applied it while in the "Cafe User" desktop.  Perhaps I did it wrong, but the net result was no program list from the start menu in both accounts.

Thanks for your help,
    Mike
    Friday, January 15, 2010 4:12 PM
  • More infor about how I have my SS running (hope this can help us get this solved) ....

I only create one user during the XP Pro installation (I call it Cafe User and it has admin authority).  After I install XP SP3 I download and install all the latest updates from the microsoft update site.  I load and run steady state from the aministrator account (the real one, which I enter by holding down cntl/alt and hitting del twice).  The net result is two accounts with admin authority (the real one and the one XP requires admin authority on during installation).

I just looked at another computer I ran this "group policy" modification on and it is the same as the other.  Both the admin and cafe user desktops are now missing the "all programs" buttons.  I ran GPEDIT from the admin desktop and see the same thing I see on the cafe user side -- remove all pgms is enabled.

If there is anything else I can do to explain how this is setup please ask.  I hope this can be resolved, but if not, I will just run with all pgms available to the user since they can't really run anything anyway, it just says they are restricted if any of those programs are run.

Thanks for all the help,
    Mike
    Friday, January 15, 2010 5:00 PM
  • Hi Mike, I suggest you try the following workaround:

1. Temporarily elevate the restricted user to administrator account.
    2. Enable the restriction "Allow only classica start menu" for the user.
    3. Log on the user and hide all items in Start - Programs. Log off.
    4. Set the user back to standard or restricted account.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 6:49 AM
  • I'm not sure if deleting the start menu shortcuts is outside of what you are trying to do by hiding them, but if not you can accomplish this when logged into your admin account by navigating to:

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Start Menu\Programs

and deleting the program shortcuts there.
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 3:23 PM