Size of Patches RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Team,

I apply patches through Microsoft WSUS server 2008 R2. But i have little confusion about patches size. there are too many sub groups in All Computers section and i apply patches on daily basis but i don't know exact patches size. How can i calculate total patches size through WSUS which have been approved. i have some group which are up to date and there are some group which have been left during last month and current month patches also.

Thanks in advance.

Tushar Bhardwaj

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 6:02 AM

All replies

• Hi Tushar Bhardwaj,

If you want to know the total size of the updates that have been approved, you may check the size of WSUS Content folder.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 7:55 AM
  • Dear Anne,

The WSUS Content folder size is around 220 GB. But there will be some patches already installed. like i have a group where i want to apply patches ...particularly at that group i want to check patches size mean what the size of patches...in that group if i have windows 7  10 machines then patches size will be how much?

Tushar Bhardwaj

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 10:16 AM
  • Dear Team,

Waiting for your positive response.

Tushar Bhardwaj

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 5:50 AM
  • Dear Team,

Waiting for your prompt response.

Tushar Bhardwaj

Monday, April 17, 2017 8:38 AM
  • Dear Anne,

The WSUS Content folder size is around 220 GB. But there will be some patches already installed. like i have a group where i want to apply patches ...particularly at that group i want to check patches size mean what the size of patches...in that group if i have windows 7  10 machines then patches size will be how much?

Tushar Bhardwaj

Hi Tushar Bhardwaj,

1. When WSUS server sync updates from MU or upstream WSUS server, it only download metadata of the updates to SUSDB; when approve updates, WSUS server will download the update binary file into Content folder; So, the size of the Content folder might be the size of all the updates files approved;

2. If an update is already approved for group1 and the file is downloaded into Content folder; then we approve the update for group2, the update file won't be downloaded twice, it will only download once;

3. If you want to figure out the size of a particular update, then you may search the update in Microsoft Update Catalog, it may list the size of each KB.

Best Regards,

Anne

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 17, 2017 8:52 AM
  • Hi,

Just to check if the above reply could be of help? If yes, you may mark useful reply as answer, if not, welcome to feedback.

Best Regards,

Anne

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 2:51 AM