Updating UM English language packs RRS feed

• Question

• We are getting ready to install Exchange 2013 CU6 in our Prod environment and I see there is a CU6 language pack as well. I tried to install the new language pack in our Dev environment, that already has Exchange 2013 CU6 installed, but when I try to run the CU6 language pack it says "The Unified Messaging language pack for English (United States) is already installed. If you're trying to reinstall or update this language pack, uninstall the existing version first."

My question is if I even need to update the pack. My thoughts were that this will update the English files to give us better transcription, etc. Since we only use the English pack, I am hesitant on uninstalling it and it also removing the configuration we have setup in UM.

Monday, February 23, 2015 10:06 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the info Andy. Since this is a newer Language Pack released for the Exchange CU6 update, wouldn't it have updated binaries that would provided better results, compared what I am using now? Or does the Language Pack get updated to CU6 as well, when Exchange CU6 is installed?

Yes, the CU will contain the latest UM U.S English Language Pack by default.

See:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124728(v=exchg.150).aspx

By default, when you install a Mailbox server, the U.S. English (en-US) language pack is installed. It can't be removed unless you remove the Mailbox server from the computer

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

• Marked as answer by JSKoons Wednesday, February 25, 2015 1:52 PM
    Tuesday, February 24, 2015 6:27 PM

All replies

• We are getting ready to install Exchange 2013 CU6 in our Prod environment and I see there is a CU6 language pack as well. I tried to install the new language pack in our Dev environment, that already has Exchange 2013 CU6 installed, but when I try to run the CU6 language pack it says "The Unified Messaging language pack for English (United States) is already installed. If you're trying to reinstall or update this language pack, uninstall the existing version first."

My question is if I even need to update the pack. My thoughts were that this will update the English files to give us better transcription, etc. Since we only use the English pack, I am hesitant on uninstalling it and it also removing the configuration we have setup in UM.

If you are using US English only in the Dial Plan, you don't need the Language Pack. Removing a language pack doesn't affect any config you have set on the Dial Plan.

Twitter!: Please Note: My Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.

Monday, February 23, 2015 10:47 PM
  • Thanks for the info Andy. Since this is a newer Language Pack released for the Exchange CU6 update, wouldn't it have updated binaries that would provided better results, compared what I am using now? Or does the Language Pack get updated to CU6 as well, when Exchange CU6 is installed?
    Tuesday, February 24, 2015 1:57 PM

Yes, the CU will contain the latest UM U.S English Language Pack by default.

See:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124728(v=exchg.150).aspx

By default, when you install a Mailbox server, the U.S. English (en-US) language pack is installed. It can't be removed unless you remove the Mailbox server from the computer

• Marked as answer by JSKoons Wednesday, February 25, 2015 1:52 PM
    Tuesday, February 24, 2015 6:27 PM
  • Hello,

Agree with Andy reply for UM Pack update.

Installation of Exchange Server 2013

GUI Mode:

http://www.techrid.com/exchange-server-2013/exchange-server-2013-sp1-installation-on-windows-server-2008-r2/

Unattended Mode:

http://www.techrid.com/exchange-server-2013/installation-of-exchange-server-2013-unattended-mode/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember to mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question.That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you Check out my latest blog posts @ Techrid.com

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 6:38 PM
  • Thanks for that info Andy and thats what I needed to know. I found tons of info on how to install and uninstall the packs, but really nothing that said how or if they were updated.
    Wednesday, February 25, 2015 1:57 PM