none
Routing mail based on sender address using transport rules

Question

• Hi all

In Exchange 2003 we used SMTP connectors in conjunction with the delivery restrictions tab to force specific  users outbound mail via an alternative smart host. Since we upgraded to 2007 I have not been able to do the same. All information points to writing your own transport agent but I don’t have the development skills to do this so I have come up with a crude alternative. Basically I have setup a transport rule on my Exchange 2007 sp1 box setup as follows

Condition            – From members of a distribution

-When sending to a external address

Actions                 – Copy the message to an external address (test@test.com)

-Silently drop the message

I also setup a send connector to route all mails for the test.com domain via a smart host

So Exchange drops the original mail and forwards a copy to an external host via the send connector ..  I then rewrite the message headers on the smart host (Strip out the to field test@test.com and reinsert all the correct to, from and cc information, this all works correctly but I am not able to see the BCC information in the headers and I need it .... Is there any way to setup the transport rule to include this information in the forwarded mail ? or if you have any suggestions for achieving my goal I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

T

Thursday, August 21, 2008 12:08 PM

Answers

• Exchange obeyed the RFC standard to handle the BCC filed in the message, so you are not able to get BCC information from Email header and Transport rule cannot achieve this function.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 2:27 AM

All replies

• Exchange obeyed the RFC standard to handle the BCC filed in the message, so you are not able to get BCC information from Email header and Transport rule cannot achieve this function.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 2:27 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback,

Do you know of any other way to achieve what Exchange 2003 connectors with delivery restrictions did (route specific users outbound mail via an alternative smart host) in Exchange 2007 in a single server environment?  

Is it possible to install the edge role on a hub server?    I have found contradictory information on the web so I’m not sure is this is doable and what the implications would be of doing this (loss of any services, security issues....)

Thanks again for the help

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 9:07 AM
  • Exchange 2007 transport architecture is great changed, Routing Group and Connectors concepts are no longer existed or make great difference from Exchange 2003. Exchange Server 2007 send/receive connector cannot restrict some user not going through them. It doesn’t have the feature at least in current Exchange 2007 SP1. Unfortunately, I also cannot find a proper workaround for you except programming transport agent. I am not sure if transport agent can do the job well.

For your second question, I would like to explain that Edge Server role cannot be installed with any other Exchange role.

-Jason Li

Friday, August 29, 2008 8:44 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback,

I guess I will have to try and create an agent to do what I need, I have no idea where to start or how to do this can anyone point me in the right direction?

Regards
    t
    Friday, August 29, 2008 3:07 PM
  • There exists a third-party tool that implements sender-based routing:

http://ivasoft.com/routebysender.shtml

Thursday, February 03, 2011 7:44 PM