none
Fresh Install with Windows 7 upgrade disk? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been asked if you can do a CLEAN INSTALL of Windows 7 when upgrading from Vista on a newly purchased laptop. I think this is mainly to get rid of the manufactures bloatware. This is with the upgrade program that is out now. I said no, but I want to double check. This media will be meant for upgrade only and needs to be able to detect the Vista OS to install. The custom install selection shouldn't be selectable. Am I correct?
    HP dv9535nr Triple Boot: XP Pro SP3, Vista Ultimate X64, Windows 7 RC1 X64
    Monday, July 13, 2009 5:03 PM

Answers

• If you have Windows Vista installed, you can use the Windows 7 Upgrade license to perform a "clean install".  This is accomplished by booting to the Windows Vista desktop, inserting the Windows 7 Upgrade DVD in the DVD drive, then selecting Custom (advanced) from the setup menu.  This will then initiate the option to perform a "clean install".
    Carey Frisch
    Monday, July 13, 2009 5:11 PM

All replies

• If you have Windows Vista installed, you can use the Windows 7 Upgrade license to perform a "clean install".  This is accomplished by booting to the Windows Vista desktop, inserting the Windows 7 Upgrade DVD in the DVD drive, then selecting Custom (advanced) from the setup menu.  This will then initiate the option to perform a "clean install".
    Carey Frisch
    Monday, July 13, 2009 5:11 PM
  • No one knows at this point how the Windows 7 Upgrade media will work. Neither Microsoft or forum members have a Windows 7 Upgrade "whitesheet", FAQ or other confirmed documentation. Any answers you receive on your question are purely speculative at this time. The only factual information we all have at this time can be found at the Microsoft Store which is vague at best. We know we should be able to do an in-place (Upgrade) or a clean (Custom) installation however, there is nothing officially written by Microsoft as to how to do either.
    Monday, July 13, 2009 5:35 PM
  • So either way (Upgrade or Custom) the Windows 7 Upgrade disk still needs to detect that Vista is installed.

Thanks for shedding some light on this issue.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 1:32 AM
  • So either way (Upgrade or Custom) the Windows 7 Upgrade disk still needs to detect that Vista is installed.

Thanks for shedding some light on this issue.

Microsoft has yet to state the details of what will be required to use an upgrade license. It's possible that there will be a path to install Win7 on a blank hard drive using an upgrade license without installing a qualifying OS, but I'm not hopeful about that. At least one blogger has written that not only must a qualifying OS be installed, but it must be *activated*.

If your main interest is doing a "custom" install to dispose of crapware from a notebook vendor, that should work well, as long as you have sufficient space on the hard drive for the old instllation to be copied to windows.old. (You can delete that afterwards. The Windows "disk cleanup" utility is an easy way to do that.)
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 2:32 PM