Error message “Server Manager cannot connect to server. Click retry to try to connect again.” when connecting to Server Manager of a server from Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all;

When I want to connect Server Manager of a server with Windows Server 2008 R2, the following error message appears:

Server Manager cannot connect to server. Click retry to try to connect again.

When I click on the See Details button, I can see the following details:

Connecting to remote server failed with the following error message: The WinRM client cannot complete the operation within the time specified. Check if the machine name is valid and is reachable over the network and firewall exception for Windows Remote Management service is enabled. For more information, see the about _Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic.

Actions that I did so far to resolve this problem:

1. I have did all the suggestions in the following address:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976839

2. I have disabled firewall on the server, with same result.

3. Windows Remote Management service is started on the server.

4. When I execute the “winrm identify -remote:server01 ” command on the client, the following output appears:

WSManFaultMessage = The WinRM client cannot complete the operation within the time specified. Check if the machine name is valid and is reachable over the network and firewall exception for Windows Remote Management service is enabled.
    Error number:  -2144108250 0x80338126
    The WinRM client cannot complete the operation within the time specified. Check if the machine name is valid and is reachable over the network and firewall exception for Windows Remote Management service is enabled.
    5. when I execute the “Winrm id” on the server, the following outputs appears:
    IdentifyResponse
        ProtocolVersion = http://schemas.dmtf.org/wbem/wsman/1/wsman.xsd
        ProductVendor = Microsoft Corporation
        ProductVersion = OS: 6.1.7600 SP: 0.0 Stack: 2.0

6. When I run the “winrm e winrm/config/listener ” command, the following output appears:

Listener
        Address = *
        Transport = HTTP
        Port = 5985
        Hostname
        Enabled = true
        URLPrefix = wsman
        CertificateThumbprint
        ListeningOn = 127.0.0.1, 192.168.0.3, ::1, fe80::5efe:192.168.0.3%11, fe80::fc1a:ff04:c626:eb7f%10

Any other ideas to solve this problem?
    Thanks

Friday, December 17, 2010 11:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I suggest temporally disabling or removing your anti-virus programs to test this issue.

If the issue persists, I suggest performing a Clean Boot to test if the logon process can be faster in the Clean Boot mode.

Clean Boot

========

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please test this result in the Clean Boot environment.

Tim Quan

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.  

Monday, December 20, 2010 6:22 AM
  • Thanks for your reply;

I do not have any antivirus on the client and the server...

As I mentioned, I want to connect  to Server Manager of a server from a Windows 7 client. I do not understand what do you mean about the relation between my problem and clean booting!

Any other ideas?

Monday, December 20, 2010 6:36 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the quick reply.

As this issue could be caused by third-party programs’ influence, I suggest performing a Clean Boot. A Clean Boot can disable all third-party services including third-party anti-virus programs and firewalls on your computer. Thus you will have a clean environment to test the issue. Please have a try.

In addition, please open Windows Firewall, on the Exceptions tab, check the box before “Windows Remote Management” and click OK.

Tim Quan

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.  

Monday, December 20, 2010 7:16 AM
  • Thanks for your reply;

I did the clean boot without any success and As I said before I have disabled the Firewall on the server.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Monday, December 20, 2010 7:52 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

In Server Manager on that remote computer, click "Configure Server Manager Remote Management" from the main page in the 'Server Summary Computer Information" section.

If the issue still occurs, please try below:

1. Logon to the remote server that is being connected to in Server Manager.

2. Open an admin-elevated CMD prompt and type:

WINRM QC

3. Start a powershell session and type:

Enable-PsRemoting

4. Server Manager can now be used to connect remotely to this server. No reboot is required.

If the error still occurs, please try to connect from another computer to check the result.

Tim Quan

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 7:44 AM
  • Thanks for your reply;

I did your suggestions and then tested with another Windows 7 client with success. But the first Windows 7 client cannot connect as before. So the problem is in the first Windows 7 client.

Can you please help me to find the solution in the first Windows 7 client?

Thanks

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 1:19 PM
  • Can you ping/access the server from the problem Win7?
    Thursday, December 23, 2010 5:54 AM
  • Yes...
    Friday, December 24, 2010 2:36 PM
  • Looking at the error code listed earlier it looks like it might be some firewall blocking the communication.

Now i see that you have turned off the server side Windows firewall.

However do you know if there is a 3rd party firewall on the client/server or any firewall appliance on the network that can do this?

If you are familiar with netmon, to verify you can take a network trace (at server and client) and see if the packet is reaching the server or is being blocked in between.

See the below KB (ignore the title)

2465160 Add Host or other action fails with (2916) 0x80338126 in System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008

Sumesh P - Microsoft Online Community Support
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 7:14 PM
  • Thanks for your reply;

I have disabled firewall on the remote destination server, with the same result.

Another question: I have this problem with a 32-bit Windows 7 but not with a 64-bit Windows 7. Does this matter?

Thanks

Friday, January 7, 2011 11:50 AM
  • The OS editions shouldnt matter. Did you remember making any changes to winRM on the Win7 box?

Please run the tests from the KB below and check if you see unexpected results.

2465160 Add Host or other action fails with (2916) 0x80338126 in System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008

Are you able to connect to any other server from this box using server manager? if not, inspect the Outbound rules on your firewalls advanced settings.

Did you already try out the Winrm quickconfig command and see any errors?

Sumesh P - Microsoft Online Community Support
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 1:32 PM
  • Try the following solutions and see if that helps fix your problem:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd759202.aspx

http://thisishelpful.com/fix-server-manager-connect-server-windows-server-2008.html

Both solutions worked for me.

Saturday, March 19, 2011 7:53 AM