none
MDT Deploymet Mendia, Script looking for wrong drive, RRS feed

• Question

• I made a Deploment media that i want to use to install Windows on a laptop that dosent support PXE,

This laptop have built in card reader,

After deployment process start it all goes well untill first boot from Windows PE to Windows8.1, then the Deployment Wizard throws an error saying:

"There is no disk in the drive. please insert a disk into drive e:"

At this point in time Windows Aoutomatically decided that drive E is an empty card reader

and Deployment USB is Drive D:

Is there a way to alter the scrip somewhere to look for drive D instead or some other solution ?

Thursday, May 21, 2015 9:47 AM

All replies

• Just because the laptop doesn't support PXE doesn't mean you can't use the network to deploy over. Make a bootable USB flash drive and extract your litetouch boot image to it. Boot from that, the wizard will come up and deploy your OS as usual. Even if the system you need to image doesn't have an Ethernet port, so long as it has USB you can use an Ethernet USB adapter to deploy your OS.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Thursday, May 21, 2015 8:51 PM
  • can you open the command prompt at the time of failure, by pressing F8 or if you are booted up in OS, what are the different drive letters on the machine at this time?

I can tell you that people will find it terribly difficult to assist you unless they have the proper logs. 

Dan_vega has a point too, try with a litetouch iso file and see if it makes a difference. 

Mayank Sharma Support Engineer at Microsoft working in Enterprise Platform Support.

Sunday, May 24, 2015 8:14 PM
  • At the time of the error its already booted in to the Windows 8.1 as ive mentioned in the Opening Post,

There is no other drives listed in "This PC" but in Disk managment snap-in shows that Disk "E" is an empty card reader, i've also menined that in the OP.

Dan_vega's advse ive tried on a VM, it worked fine, i will try it in the laptop when im back in the office.

Sunday, May 24, 2015 8:25 PM
  • Hopefully that'll work for you. I totally get your card reader problem, so if network deployments are ever not an option for you an alternative would be to disable the card reader so drive letters aren't reassigned because of it.

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 1:00 AM
  • Ive just tried booting using USB made from LiteTouchPE_x64.iso,

It all started well and then faild to connect due to invalid credential,

I think its missing thr CustomSettings.ini where it specifiies what credentials to use to connect to WDS server.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 2:15 PM
  • If you don't configure

UserID
    UserDomain
    UserPassword

Then the wizard will prompt for network credentials, so it's ok to leave them blank which is good if you have other tech using MDT. Then the logs will show who logged in and you know who to blame ;)

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 2:33 PM
  • Nope, it downt work,

keep giving me this after it boots into PE:

"Wizard Error

Connection to the deployment share

(\\WDS\DeploymentShare$) Could not be made.

Connection OK. Possible cause: invalid credentials"

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 4:10 PM
  • What about Bootstrap.ini, do you have credentials specified there?

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 4:13 PM
  • nope, it all default

"[Settings]
    Priority=Default

[Default]"

gonna try adding it in here.

where inside LiteTouchPE_x64.iso are there stored ? inside a wim ?

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 4:49 PM
  • Did you update your share after making the changes? When the boot image needs to be updated because of changes it will create a new boot image.

The bootstrap.ini will be contained in the LiteTouch boot image. The CustomSettings.ini is read off of the server, unless you created media and your flash drive or hard drive contains the whole deployment share. If you're using the media option then update the Media.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 4:54 PM
  • I update it every time i make a change.

just added login info in to Boostrap.ini, wating for it to update.

"LiteTouch boot image" are you refering to LiteTouchPE_x64.iso or LiteTouchMedia.iso   - i think you mean LiteTouchPE

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 5:02 PM
  • if you have a moment could you also have a look at this:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/cc88da5d-0699-461b-90a6-fc7439710d88/system-center-2012-r2-vs-system-center-2012-sp1-vs-system-center-2012-r2-configuration-manager-with?forum=configmanagergeneral#cc88da5d-0699-461b-90a6-fc7439710d88

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 5:08 PM
  • Yeah it's mostly confusing. If R2 is available to you, then take that over 2012 SP1 since R2 has newer features

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 6:24 PM
  • I update it every time i make a change.

just added login info in to Boostrap.ini, wating for it to update.

"LiteTouch boot image" are you refering to LiteTouchPE_x64.iso or LiteTouchMedia.iso   - i think you mean LiteTouchPE

Yes I meant the PE image if your deploying over the network.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 6:25 PM
  • SP2 is also after R2

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 9:18 PM
  • The cause are removeable Drives. They may use the drive letter which was used before from WinPE. In my case WinPE used X and the removeable was switched to X in mdt by a script.

The solution is to use the drivers from the manufacturer.

Windows Generic Drivers will show in the drive management for each removeable drive a drive letter - all the time.

Drivers from the manufacturer will show only a drive letter in the driver management when a medium is inserted.

I had this problem actually with Win10. Fujitsu P957 with a card reader and forgotten to put in the cardreader driver in MDT. With the manufacturer driver all the removeable drives where hidden and our extra script couldn´t switch any removeable drive to X.

Thursday, February 15, 2018 2:07 PM