distribution groups & mail contacts RRS feed

• Question

• I'm migrating from exchange 2003 to exchange 2010 and I'm not sure if anything needs to be done to distribution groups and mail contacts, such as upgrading them or migrating.  Since it's all in AD I would expect that anything should be done, but I've looked every where and I've not found any answers.
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 7:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As far as I know, you have nothing to do with mail contacts.

distribution groups, if they are non-universal distribution groups, you have to convert them to universal distribution groups otherwise the aren't displayed in the address list. More information here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124094.aspx (see the note at Mail-enabled groups)

Regards Ronny
    • Proposed as answer by ronnypot Thursday, September 23, 2010 1:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by Richard Wang - MSFT Friday, October 1, 2010 2:25 AM
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 7:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, you have nothing to do with mail contacts.

distribution groups, if they are non-universal distribution groups, you have to convert them to universal distribution groups otherwise the aren't displayed in the address list. More information here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124094.aspx (see the note at Mail-enabled groups)

Regards Ronny
    • Proposed as answer by ronnypot Thursday, September 23, 2010 1:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by Richard Wang - MSFT Friday, October 1, 2010 2:25 AM
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 7:58 PM
  • thanks
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 1:21 PM
  • does this apply to security groups as well?
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 1:29 PM
  • are the mail enabled? if not it it doesn't mather...  If you look in the Exchange 2010 management console at Mail Configuration - Distribution Group - you can see the groups and it says what kind of groups it are, you can right click to turn them over to universal groups.
    Regards Ronny
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 1:35 PM
  • thanks
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 1:50 PM
  • I don't believe there are any issues converting to a universal group, do you happen to know of any?
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 3:54 PM
  • no nothing I know
    Regards Ronny
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 5:44 PM