none
Can I retreive information from a DPM disk even if the PG in DPM no longer protects the information? RRS feed

• Question

• This is one of those topics that are hard to find information about due to the general wording of the question so here I am. :)

One of my customers split a large share into two shares. Their DPM server was only configured to backup the data on the new share as the protection of the existing share was removed from the PG (in the middle of March).

The customer says that the space allocated by DPM in the storage pool for the PG in question allows for the data in both of the shares to be protected.

They now need data from the "old" share, the one that was previously protected, so they're hoping that there's some way to access the data located in the storage pool for DPM and manually access the files.

I know that all the volumes are mounted under the "DPM\Volumes" folder but I'm not sure if information that's phased out of the PG is still kept there.

If not, is there any other way to access the files on the volume?

I would very much appreciate any and all thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 7:15 AM

Answers

• Hi,

If the original protected data was removed from protection and the replica was retained, then you re-protected the new data and only selected the new share - DPM should have used the same replica.  In that case, during the consistency check DPM would have deleted any files not found under the new share, but previous recovery points will still have copies of those files.   If recovery points still exist from before the re-organization of the shares, then they should still be available to restore from under the recovery tab.   If however, the customer removed the data source from protection and deleted the replica, and then re-protected only the new share, then there will not be any old recovery points to recover that data from. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 4:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If the original protected data was removed from protection and the replica was retained, then you re-protected the new data and only selected the new share - DPM should have used the same replica.  In that case, during the consistency check DPM would have deleted any files not found under the new share, but previous recovery points will still have copies of those files.   If recovery points still exist from before the re-organization of the shares, then they should still be available to restore from under the recovery tab.   If however, the customer removed the data source from protection and deleted the replica, and then re-protected only the new share, then there will not be any old recovery points to recover that data from. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 4:12 PM
  • Hi Mike.

Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated.

The customer, as I understand it, didn't actively delete the protected data when they changed the PG to only include the new share. The retention time has passed though and there is nothing to be found under the recovery tab.

Are we still up the creek without a paddle?

Friday, May 15, 2015 6:16 AM
  • Hi Martin,

Thank you for the reply.

If retention time has passed, old backup may already be removed and you may not able to get data back.

Sorry for the trouble. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 18, 2015 6:48 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

Thursday, May 21, 2015 6:58 AM